Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Have you attended a certificate program at a community college?? If so, I have a question for you...

I was wondering...were you able to use your PEL grant?
I am going to the community college here in my city, and I qualify for a PEL grant..but I've been told I may not be able to use it because the Medical Assistant Program I'm going into is not a traditional semester by semester program, it is year round. This doesn't sound right to me. Why wouldn't I be able to use a school grant on the school program of my choice??

Answer Question

Asked by brandyj at 1:01 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in

Level 21 (10,228 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • You can talk to an administrator at the school and they can tell you. I went to school in GA so, I used the HOPE scholarship.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 1:03 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

  • i did the MA program but i got an associated degree...they took my pel grant for it

    Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:09 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

  • Yeah, this program is 12-15 months, in 10 week cycles with an externship at the end.

    Comment by brandyj (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

  • I would talk to someone in the financial aid office at the community college. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use it.

    Answer by mommy_jules at 2:06 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

  • Talk to the financial aid office. I went to school year round for an AA in Human Services and a certificate in AODA Rehab counseling and used Pell Grants, among others.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:08 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in

Next question overall (Food & Drink)
Tired of the same old thing