Do you think this is rude?

My neighbor whispers in my daughters ear. Now I am looking at her like she is crazy in shock I thought she was joking but she seriously don't see anything wrong with it.  It was in front of my other daughter and her daughter. She said secrets. I always teach my kids we don't tell secrets. I think it is completely rude, to whisper in someones ear while you are all sitting in the kitchen, living room any where. That is like 3 ladies going to lunch and I whisper in one of there ears, too me that is rude..

When I spoke to her she said she always does that when planning stuff secretly Valentines day, I felt like she looked at me like I was crazy when I told her I don't like it.

I teach my kids it is rude. What do you think????

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 1:06 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't believe any adult should tell a child to keep a "secret" or any knowledge from his/her parents.
    That is wrong.
    Whispering or blowing in a persons ear at a table or excluding anyone at a table is tacky and lacking in social etiquette.

What did ever happen to social etiquette??

Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 5:03 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• You think it is rude fr someone to wisper to someone else? I am trying to understand the question, not bashing. Do you think the blowing in someones ear is rude or telling secrets in front of someone is rude?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 1:09 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I agree with Anonymous! We even teach our children not to use the word "secret" and that if anyone tells them to keep something "secret" then it may not be a good thing and they need to share it with Mom or Dad and let us help them. If it's a good "secret" then we are able to determine that without taking the fun away, and we say instead that its a "surprise." It would make me really uncomfortable if someone whispered to my children regularly.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 1:13 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I don't think secrets are healthy to have with children. That's how molesters hook kids. I don't know that it was as much rude as inappropriate to ask a child to keep a secret from mom
    Anonymous

• if its a secret how do you know what she's whispering?
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 1:20 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• It was a very odd way to handle it....

I would look at mom and say we have a surprise for valentines day we need to discuss, would you mind if we went over here and planed.... I would say it all cuties and exaggerated.  Then I would take the child to the other side of the room where we were still visible and talk in a very quiet manor.

That is how I always handled things like that. I agree you dont want to teach your kids to have "secrets" but surprises are VERY fun to plan with kids.

Anonymous

• yes it's rude, and I don't teach my kids to keep secrets , to me it is best to be upfront & honest with everyone. my kids know they can tell me anything and I will help any way I can!!
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 1:18 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Secrets can be fun and harmless. Secrets as in hiding real information is bad. I'm sure she was just saying something like Make sure you give you mother lots of love today, It's Valentines Day.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 1:20 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I completely agree with the difference between a secret and a surprise. They are not the same thing. And it is rude to whisper in front of other people like that without clarifying that the reason is because there is a surprise in the works- you don't have to give away the surprise but at least it explains the reason for the whispering.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:24 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• My daughter is grown but, if a neighbor was whispering in her ear when she was younger; i would not be happy- it is rude & should of been handled differently!

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 1:35 PM on Feb. 15, 2011