Would you consider this abuse and/or neglect?

My husband made a comment earlier so I thought I'd get your views as well.  Okay, let me start by saying that I have no problem tapping my kids behinds when they mess up.  BUT I do feel like other things need to be taken into consideration BEFORE one of mine gets a spanking.  Are they tired?  Having a bad day?  Etc.  Onto my first quetion.  We had friends over for dinner.  They knew that we would be eating in less than an hour and still let their 3 year old literally eat an entire bowl of popcorn.  And then spanked her when she wouldn't eat her dinner.  Uncalled for?  Yes, I think so.  2nd question, they feed her junk NONSTOP all day long and then complain because she won't eat meals.  She is always sickly, seriously.  They (her parents) complain NONSTOP about her eating habits.  Um, hello, she's a child, she eats what they give her.  The dad was complaining about it to my hub last night and this morning when my hub got home he said that in his opinion, it's abuse to feed her the way they do.  What are your ladies opinions?

MrsHouston47302

Asked by MrsHouston47302 at 1:10 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Is it the best choice - no. We can all agree on that. Abusive, I think not. Maybe someone should point out that they are the ones in control of what their daughter eats and, if they are unhappy with how she is eating, to change it.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 1:13 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• wow! some people shouldn't be allowed to "breed"
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:14 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• The word "abuse" should be used discriminately, and only when a call to action is in order. I would say that these parents are uninformed and ignorant of smart and healthy parenting skills. Perhaps with some gentle nudging and maybe even sharing a good book (cd, dvd, etc) that you've "discovered" (which has "greatly helped you", btw!) might be all it takes for these parents to make better choices for their children, which you'll soon begin to see. Obviously, they care or they wouldn't be bringing it up in conversation to you and your husband....,maybe they are looking for your guidance?
    michholl4

Answer by michholl4 at 1:15 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Not abuse. They just need parenting classes imo.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 1:14 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• And my child thinks it is abuse because he only gets "junk" food as a "treat" AFTER he eats a healthy meal on a weekend if he has been good all week. He thinks because his friends eat like that all of the time, he should get to also. But he is healthy and smart and very respectful for a seven year old. He knows what I expect of him for him to get his "treat".
    kymuddgirl

Answer by kymuddgirl at 1:24 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Oh, and let me also say that I am certainly not a junk food basher.  My kids get to eat that stuff too but not all day long and everything in moderation is our motto. 

MrsHouston47302

Comment by MrsHouston47302 (original poster) at 1:11 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Yes, indeed.  We have but only because they asked us why our kids eat their meals.  Because they have to, lol.  I'm not bashing them, just curious what other moms think about it.

MrsHouston47302

Comment by MrsHouston47302 (original poster) at 1:14 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Yes, my hub is sick of them complaining when they are ones giving her the junk but I wouldn't actually call it abuse.  Neglect?  Yes.  Her health IS being neglected.  I think it's laziness also.  It's easier for the mom to open up a bag of chips then to have to get up and find something decent.  And again, yes, she knows what I feel and again, only because she asked, lol. 

MrsHouston47302

Comment by MrsHouston47302 (original poster) at 1:17 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I agree but they are informed.  I think that they complain but don't want to actually put the work in to get their daughter to eat healthier.  Just my opinion.

MrsHouston47302

Comment by MrsHouston47302 (original poster) at 1:19 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I dont know how hard they spanked to say it was abuse but considering it was in front of you I wonder what they do alone. Could it be they were embarrassed she didn't eat your dinner and were doing it for your benefit? (sick) In any event, I think it's wrong.

INMO spanking, and by that I mean as you say a tap on the butt with the hand, is only appropriate when needed to divide a child from a dangerous situation such as they ran in the street or when separating out of control siblings who are getting physical with each other.

Besides how wrong it is to spank a child anyway for something like that, getting on a child about eating period can lead to food abuse issues and there are enough obese children and adults as there is.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 1:26 PM on Feb. 15, 2011