Is it okay to take the metamucil capsules every day for constipation?

I am only going about once every four days and it is VERY hard stools and have tried everything. I bought the metamucil capsules yesturday and had a movement this morning. It sais to take 4-6 and I took 4. Is it okay to do this every day?

saysmom

Asked by saysmom at 1:14 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I'd ask your OB. Those can cause gas and cramping
    Have you tried LOTS of food fiber? LOTS of water?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:24 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• first of all make sure you are drinking lots and lots of water...with prenatal vitamins you are gonna get constipiated a little so water is crucial i had a friend who took metamucil tablets when she was pregnant but my doctor said to mix in some prune juice too...so its up to you
    ahsot1230

Answer by ahsot1230 at 1:24 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I don't know much about Metamucil... so you should ask your OB. However, I think your bowel movements will improve if you drink more water, eat more fruits and veggies high in fiber (like apples, potatoes with the skin on, romaine lettuce, etc), and take a stool softener. Metamucil is fiber...whereas a stool softener will just make your bm's easier to pass.
    Here is a website with a LONG list of fiber-rich foods, so you can find some things you like. Remember to take it slow, though. If you up your fiber content drastically, especially during pregnancy, you may get a LOT of gas. So try adding just 1 or 2 more servings of fiber to your diet at first, and go from there.
    By the way, constipation is normal during pregnancy, because your intestines are being squished back, and because the hormone that causes your ligaments to stretch cause a sluggish bowel. So remember not to strain when moving your bowel. :)
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 1:27 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Ahh! I forgot the website link... lol
    Here it is!

http://commonsensehealth.com/Diet-and-Nutrition/List_of_High_Fiber_Foods.shtml
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 1:32 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• It's always smart to ask your OB about any medicine that you want to take during pregnancy.
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 6:43 PM on Feb. 15, 2011