Beans

I need recipes for beans please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Food & Drink

• What type of beans? Fresh, canned, frozen, dried?

Answer by missanc at 1:19 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• dried beans
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I always add 2 pieces of bacon. Gives them good flavor
    Anonymous

• Any dried beans I always soak covered in cold water overnight. Pour Of the water in the morning and replace with fresh. Navy beans I like to use a ham bone if I have it. If not I buy a ham steak and cut it into even chuncks. Pintos I Chop salt pork into pretty large hunks if I don't have that I use bacon. Lentils I don't soak over night and I usually add them to sauteed onions, celery and carrots and chicken stock (you can just use water) salt, pepper and simmer till tender..makes a great soup. My kids like the soup best with crunchy toasted bread.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:33 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I actually have ham and bean soup cooking right now. I used white, Navy beans, green beans, ham and will cut up potatoes toward the end of baking. Probably bake some rolls of biscuits to go with it. Oh, I cook it in chicken broth and water. I doubled the recipe to freeze some. But typically, for a family of 4.... use one can of beans, one can of green beans, a large slice of ham and 3 potatoes, one can of chicken broth and one can of water. Salt and pepper.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 1:50 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• sort pinto beans make sure their are no rocks, wash beans, put in pot to boil with some salt and bacon grease then after 3 hours on high and adding water as needed add some cheese and you got mexican beans ready to eat with almost anything
    Ladyrosa

Answer by Ladyrosa at 9:31 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• We eat a lot of beans. Send me a message offlist if you would like some recipes

Answer by rkoloms at 6:11 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Cajun Pintos
    1 lb. dried pinto beans
    1 lb. cajun sausage, or smoked sausage sliced 1-/4" thick
    1 Tablespoon butter
    2 medium onions, diced
    5 ribs celery, diced
    2 green bell peppers, diced
    14 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste
    2 teaspoons-2 Tablespoons Creole Seasoning, or purchased seasoning
    8 cups cold water
    1 lb. smoked ham hocks
    3 bay leaves
    Kosher salt & fresh ground black pepper to taste
    Rinse and pick through the beans thoroughly, and soak them for at least 6 hours or overnight. Cook the sausage in the butter over medium heat in a large, heavy pot for 3-5 minutes or until brown. (The butter will keep the sausage from sticking before the fat renders out.) Add the onions, celery, peppers, and garlic, and saute until tender. Add the cayenne and Creole seasoning and stir. Add the water, ham hock, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:58 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• continued
    Reduce to a simmer, and cook for 1 1/2 hours, or until the beans are tender. Be careful not to scorch the beans-add more water while cooking if necessary. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and cayenne, depending on how hot you like it.
    Notes: This is the way I learned to fix them when I lived in New Orleans, from the Executive Chef at Commander's Palace. Only use about 2 Teaspoons of the Creole seasoning to begin with, then add more if you like it spicy.
    Creole Seasoning:
    1 Tablespoon salt
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon paprika
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:59 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Lima beans. First I cook 1 pound of beans (about 2 cups) I like to soak them overnight in water to cover, then drain and add 6 cups fresh water, cover and bring just to boiling over medium-high heat. Ham hocks or bacon can be added for extra flavor. Reduce heat to low and simmer gently with lid tilted, about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally (very gently so as not to break the skins). Can add more water as needed. This makes about 6 cups cooked beans. Season to taste with salt & pepper. Serve with cornbread or over rice. The next day or so, I change it up a bit for a whole different flavor. I make Creole Beans.

SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:00 PM on Feb. 16, 2011