Worried that my niece is being fed too much?????

My niece is almost 14 months old and every time I am around it seems like she is eating a ton. Like the other morning for breakfast I made my 5 year old two blueberry pancakes and my sister told me to do the same for my niece. She gobbled those two pancakes down before my daughter could even get done. Then we went to eat one night and she ate a ton of goldfish, a container of green beans, they ordered her a vegatle beef soup which they cut the veggies up, a pickle and some roast beef off of my sisters plate and some ham off of my daughters. She is not fat by no means, but she is a VERY active child. But her fathers family is over weight and I am scared they are starting bad habits with her that will lead her to be obese. Should I say something or stay out of it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• As long as she's not fed junk food constantly,I wouldn't worry as of yet.
    My son ate like a horse and is still slim at almost 10

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:34 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Stay out of it. As long as she is active and not overweight, then she's eating the right amount. Plus you didn't mention that she's eating cookies or soft drinks. My 2 year old eats a ton of food, people are always surprised but he's actually underweight - he just burns more than he eats. My Dad's side of the family is obese, but I can eat anything I want and not gain a pound. Some people just naturally have high metabolisms and it could be that your niece is one of them.

Answer by missanc at 1:35 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Is she eating a bunch of junk?  My son has a high metabolism also, he needs to eat more.  So the children who need to eat more because of having a high metabolism should be denied food?  That doesn't make much sense to me. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:35 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• No. She is 14 months old. She seems to be eating vegetables from what you write. Is she eating fruits? Does she eat snacks in between meals? If she is not overweight, she is eating fine. It is up to the parents to regulate her eating behavior if it looks like she's gaining too much weight, but if she's not overweight, why worry?
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 1:35 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• That isnt your place to bring it up if she is okay. My daughter eats ALLLLLL the time, shes 2 in two days and has always eaten a lot. shes skinny and in good health. some just have faster metabolisms than others. My dd for instance eats and then 10 min after poops.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:54 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I agree with the other answers. Your niece sounds healthy and is eating mostly nutritious food. Some kids eat more, some less, that's fine. All are different.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 8:42 PM on Feb. 15, 2011