Sahm's going back to work ??

i have been a sahm since my son was born (he is 10 months). Lately i have been thinking about getting a part time job to help pay the bills..but i can't imagine having to drop my little boy off at day care..it makes me want to cry everytime i have to think about how he would nap there and eat there and i wouldn't see him all day...

HELP how did you mom's cope with this?!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it helps if you have a relative that can babysit for you.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 2:04 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I have an interview this week. And hoping it works out. My husband recently decided he didn't want to make our relationship work....so I have no other choice but to go back. I am actually excited. I have been a SAHM for 2 1/2 yrs and am ready to see people again. I love my kids, but after this long, they need it as do I.
    I can tell you this, check about pricing....is a part time job going to cover the cost of day care? And the gas, and the extra diapers you will need to be sending. Just things to consider.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:04 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I went back to work part time on nights/weekends between my 4th and 5th kids when my husband was home to care for them.

Answer by missanc at 2:05 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I stayed at home until my daughter was almost 2-- I wanted her to be able to communicate with me if something was going on at daycare -- Have you thought of working part-time AT a daycare? Free childcare plus he could stay with you and you wouldn't have to miss out on all those "firsts". I was soo bummed about it at first -- she was too -- but we eventually became accustomed to our new schedule and now she LOVES the socialization!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 2:06 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I worked weekends when the kids ever very little. I still do now, for the most part. That way I can be there for the kids to pick them up from school, etc. Of course, I'm fortunate enough to have always worked in a hospital, it's a lot easier to pick up weekend shifts there.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 2:06 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• One of the rules I established: Nothing happens if mom's not there to see it. No firsts of any kind. During that day care time, nothing is happening. It gets your mind off "what am I missing" because you're not missing anything. (Sort of like that tree falling in the forest... if no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?)

And you remember that you're doing what you have to.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:06 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• The though of havin to go back to a job just makes me SAD! I LOVE staying home! Ive been doing it for 2 years now And have an 8, 4, and 2 yr old... i was stressing and finally DH and I talked and he says that if we are financially ok I can stay home indefinately! I do do some work at home for my uncles business, babysit and if anything comes up that i can do at home I'll do it but this is where I want to be
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 2:18 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I work part time in the evenings and weekends. Every little bit helps.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 2:18 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• When I went back to work I found a job working from 4-8pm. My hubs worked days and when he got home I would go to work. That way one of us was home with the kids and we did not need daycare. It worked out great as I had my time with the kids, he had his turn with the kids and I had money coming in. When I would get home from work the kids would be in bed or on the way to bed and then hubs and I still had some 'us' time before we had to go to bed for the night. Then a few months after that I got hired at a local company that allowed me to work from home.
    You could always look for a job where you could work from home, or a direct sales job (like tupperware, pampered chef, avon...) where you can set your own schedule and own hours.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:19 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• It is extremely hard at first. But then you get in a routine. You realize that your child loves it because he breaks out in full laughter when you pull in the driveway. the teachers make a huge fuss because he is so damn cute. The key is to find a place that you feel comfortable with. I like a home daycare. But beware, they are extremely expensive. That is why a lot of moms can't go back to work. I pay $250 per week full time or $10 per hour part time.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:28 PM on Feb. 15, 2011