Has anybody or know someone that has caused harm / birth defects to their unborn baby from hair coloring?

I had no idea that i was pregnant because I had a period and found out that I was pregnant. I am so upset because I had gotten my hair colored the week before which was week 9. I am stressing over this because I started reading on the internet tht the color gets in your blood stream and the fumes are harmful and especially in the first trimester. Should I stop worrying or does anybody know that this stuff has caused harm to the baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Pregnancy

• nope, I know lots of people that colored their hair while pregnant and not one defect.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 2:18 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I would talk to your doctor about this.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 2:19 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Nope never heard of one in real life. I got my hair colored with all 5 of mine early on and they were happy and healthy babies.

Answer by gemgem at 2:19 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I don't think it would be detectable directly to that~~
    If there are any health issues it would be difficult to pinpoint the source.

Try to avoid unnecessary toxins and risks-- that is all you can do.

Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:20 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Honestly, there is nothing you can do about it now. There is no point in worrying. Just eat right and move on!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:21 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I colored my hair during all 4 of my pregnancies, and my babies were just fine.
    Anonymous

• I have colored permed and worked all day in salon while prego with my first and my second and they are just fine
    april_f

Answer by april_f at 2:24 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I learned about this in beauty college. In the 60s and 70s hair color had chemicals in it that COULD cause problems but since then they have taken out all of those chemicals and it is safe. I was pregnant while in beauty college and colored my hair 1-2 times a month.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 2:25 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I was kind of in your shoes, I took a pregnancy test that was negative but found out a month later, at about 8 weeks, that I was pregnant. I had gone to a party and had several cocktails and I had been smoking some, too, so I was all sorts of worried. Then I realized that there was nothing I could do to change it, all I could do was be healthy moving forward and of course I never smoked another cigarette or drank at all from the moment I knew I was pregnant. For me, I figured stressing out and worrying was worse for the baby in the long run, and my energy was better spent focusing on the present than what I did in the past or what it might cause in the future. And my DD was born perfect in every way, and for the record I know of no one who had complications caused by hair dye. Even though it's a hypothetical possibility it's not a certainty so don't let it drive you crazy.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:33 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I have never know of any cases where this happened and it hurt the unborn baby, stop worrying about it, that might cause more harm than the actual hair coloring.

Answer by older at 2:39 PM on Feb. 15, 2011