How to get my cat to stop meowing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got him when he was 1 year old. My daughter was born 5 months later, and DH came home from Iraq a weeks after that. We have ad him for almost 2 years now. I love this little boy so much its hilarious! However, he will not shut up! He is always crying! i have had him checked out and he is perfectly healthy. I know he is happy for the most part, he is always purring when we pet him, and loves to rub and knead. Whenever we go to bed i always make sure he has food and the toilet lid is open (he will not drink from a bowl, only the toilet...weirdo...) And still he meow's and meow's and cry all night long. the only thing i can come up with is that he is lonely at night. Because i cant just stay up and play with him and stuff. I have thought about getting another cat or puppy to help, but our apt is soooo tiny hat we really cant have another animal and DH will NOT go for getting another kitty... I just dont know what to do to help him stop crying so much. It gets to the pint to where I have to spank him several times, then he just goes away or under the bed and he is quiet, for a while.... Please any suggestions will be appreciated.

SierraLynn

Asked by SierraLynn at 2:24 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Pets

• Instead of spanking, why not use a spray bottle with water in it?

Some cats are just more verbal than others, it does not necessarily mean that he is "crying" he could be telling you all about what he thinks of the cat next door.

To train him not to do this anymore, you're going to need a blow horn. When he cries like this, blow the blow horn...but do not let him see you do it. In his mind, he will think that when he meows, that crazy sound happens (blow horn). If he see's you do it, then he will connect the noise to you & it will not help. He has to believe that his meowing is what is causing this noise & it will help him stop.

This training technique works well for dogs & cats & for many different situations.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:52 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Cats generally do better in pairs or groups. He is probably lonely! Have you thought of letting him sleep in bed with you? Does he have a lovey or blankie or a special toy?
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 2:28 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Don't spank him,it will not help and it can be cruelty. Cats r very sensitive,they can smell things we can't. my cats will do that if there is something in the house like a mouse. They r really good at catching them. They also can see things before we even can.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:34 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Did this behavior just start recently? Is he neutered? If he isn't there may be a female in heat nearby. It is amazing how strong pheramones can be. The best long term fix is to have him fixed.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:35 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• A cat does not meow for no reason. He is trying to warn u about something.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:35 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Well, hitting a cat will not do anything positive.

We have three cats and I've been raised with them my entire life. Your cat is meowing to you to try and tell you something. Is he neutered? I'd imagine if he isn't that would be the sole cause behind it. He could just be lonely, or tired. Does he have a quiet room he can go to and relax where he isn't going to be disturbed? Does he like his food? Do you change his water daily? Cats can be REALLY sensitive. Ours require is thoroughly clean and change their litter boxes daily, as well as fresh water. If it's been sitting longer than 24 hours they will not touch it.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 2:40 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• He he sleeps with me on my side (dh has a hate/like relationship wit him lol). And he has a little blue blankie he loves on the floor next to me in bed. Sometimes its up at the top of my pillow he can snuggle with and I don have to worry about squishing him. Even then he still will cry and meow all night, even all day when I am home Im a SAHM and play with him and love him... its crazy!

SierraLynn

Comment by SierraLynn (original poster) at 2:31 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• He is a Tuxedo kitty btw.
    SierraLynn

• I have cats,u need to get one more for your kitty to give u a quiet night. Is he fixed?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:32 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Get a second cat, I agree. I had one cat who was very spoiled and she was very stuck up (so I was told). She would swipe at my husband every time he passed near me or her. Anyway he decided he was going to get his own cat and see how she liked them beans. Well she liked it quite a bit, and was alot more tolerable when she had someone to hang out with.

Answer by gemgem at 2:34 PM on Feb. 15, 2011