My kids saw the dead puppy. I just don't know what to do now.

Please, please don't rip me apart right now. I'm doing a fine job all by myself. My 10 month old chorkie got pushed in a pool by the bigger dog and drowned in a matter of 7 minutes. I was hysterical, kneeling on the ground on my hands and knees trying to revive the dog, screaming and crying. I then wrapped him in a towel and sat on the ground sobbing. My 3 yo and 4yo, looked out the window and saw me. They began screaming, crying and completly freaking out. I can't believe this is happening. We thought we had done everything to prevent this(blocking it off etc) and it still happened. I can't stop crying. My oldest doesn't know yet hes at school. Is there anything I can do to help my kids? I can hardly be ok by myself. I'm worried.

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 3:24 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Pets

• Oh lord Acid, give it a rest.

This is very tragic.

First, this can highlight and cement the safety issues concerning a pool. Not in a mean way, but to reinforce that drownings are serious, quick, silent and deadly, even for dogs. This is why we don't play near the pool without an adult, etc.

Next, be truthful. Try to be less emotional with them and explain that it was a really bad accident. Be sure to be clear that the big dog didn't know what he was doing, dogs don't know about pools and drowning. The younger ones need that clarification so they don't blame the big dog. Explain to them that this is why animals need a lot of supervision because accidents can happen. It is very unfortunate but it isn't something that can be reversed. Hold a memorial for proper good byes/closure. And put a picture up of the dog looking the way you want him remembered.

I will light a candle for your puppy tonight. I am very sorry.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:17 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Awwww how sad!
    Tell them that you are feeling as sad as they are and hug them and hold them tight.
    Agree with them that it's not fair (if they say that) and reassure them that they will be alright.
    IT'S OKAY to cry WITH them...it is a sad event. MANY parents try and hide their grief around
    their children but I and many Dr's agree that letting your kids know that you are human and that this
    is a human emotion is a good thing.
    The more you reassure them, listen and share the saddness it will pass.
    Good Luck and Once Again I am Terribly Sorry for You and Your Kids' Loss.
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 3:29 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Honey, you are going to need to calm yourself though it's difficult. I know its incredibly upsetting. The kids are more than likely mostly upset because you are. Place the dog away from them and take them alone and calmly talk this through. The worst is over so you will be okay.
    The kids need your support and talk right now. I'm sorry for what you're going through. Is there a neighbor or friend, if they can't come over just speaking on the phone can calm you at times. Best wishes.
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 3:33 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Oh that's terrible. My heart goes out to you!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:25 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I am so so sorry.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:27 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• That is terrible and I am very sorry for your lose. Do you believe in heaven? If so you can say he's happy up there playing with the other animals and people.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 3:29 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• My almost 4-year-old saw our cat (who had just been ran over by a car) lying motionless in the road -- she asked what "kiki" was doing and I explained that she was resting because she was going to live with Jesus and was waiting on him to pick her up. She totally accepted this. I quickly called our neighbor who buried the cat for us. Now my child (in her prayers) will ask Jesus to tell KIKI "hi" and we miss her.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 3:37 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• How horrible! So sorry for your loss!
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 3:30 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Thanks you guys! I'm so back and forth with my emotions. I was really attached to him. He was so sweet! :(

Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 3:34 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I already took him to the vets office to have him cremated. They are putting him in a little wooden box with a lock on it, with his name on it. And they also did a plaster footprint for me.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 3:35 PM on Feb. 15, 2011