How do you feel about cremation?

My Dad passed away 6 months ago & he was cremated. That's what he wanted. He wasn't religious. We, our immediate family, scattered most of his remains where he wanted them to be, & we kept a tiny bit for ourselves.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I've thought about it...it seems pretty...I dunno, economical. It may be a little creepy to some, but I think it's kinda environmentally sound.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:52 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I plan on being cremated. I know where I want my ashes spread. I think being buried is not necessary. It is a waste of land and resources. Not to say that everyone should agree. This is just my opinion. DH wants to be "buried at sea" because he is the most comfortable here. I hope I go first because I don't think I could just let him sink into the ocean. Creeps me out.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:54 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I think it frees your options up of where you can be put to rest. The remains can go to a favorite spot. It's what I want when I die.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:54 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I used to hate the idea of cremation ,untill I actually went to one , even though the death of a loved one is traumatic ,I found it easier when the coffin just disappeared behind a curtain rather than watch the coffin get lowered into a big black hole . At least you still can have a memorial with cremation ,you can have the ashes scattered and a head stone put in place like I have with my son .
    loulou332

Answer by loulou332 at 1:57 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• jcsscfam5- We actually scattered my Dad's ashes in the water. We spent alot of time as a family at Lake Erie, he loved to fish, boat, etc., so that's where he chose, & we granted that. We had to get a permit to carry his ashes, & we had them in a tackle box- what a memory!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:04 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I plan to be cremated. My mom was. Then we each got a little bit of her ashes in a keepsake necklace (which both me and my brother have since lost...err). My dad almost never takes his off. We still have the ashes, though. Their in a biodegradable box in my dad's room. My dad had a heart attack in 2006 and even before he told me his last wishes (just in case) I knew he kept those ashes because when he dies he wants me to mix his in with hers and then scatter them together.
    Isn't that sweet. They were together almost 29 years when my mom died...8 years ago. He still has some of her clothes hanging up in his room where she left them the day before she died.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:07 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I have to add too, that I want to be cremated. We had a family/friends celebration for my Dad. It wasn't just him being cremated, without remembering the good times. I have pictures of him on my desk, where I sit, among other places. I think some people believe that cremation means that the person wasn't loved much. That's far from the truth! I miss my Dad everyday!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• My brother and Mother were both cremated. I did not like the idea of it before these family deaths. Now....I have become comfortable with it. It was actually easier for me than to see them in a coffin. It is a personal decision for families.

When I die....I leave it up to my family what they want....I will be gone..so I don't care! LOL
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 2:14 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Sorry about your losses. (I'm the one that asked the ? to begin with!) I've been finding out how hard the loss is. My Dad was the closest person I've lost, & it was 6 months ago, yesterday.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• God said, From ashes you came, to ashes you shall return. We creamated my Mom this year, and Dad wants to be creamated as well. We are religious and see nothing wrong with it.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:20 AM on Nov. 18, 2008