Does any one know what a home study involves? (I am not adopting a child.)

Taking father of my child back to court to try to get full legal custody. A home study has been ordered for both of us. Does any one know what this involves? Anything that I should be aware of?

mom4life2011

Asked by mom4life2011 at 3:36 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• I place children for CPS and I am writing a homestudy now. I suggest you look it up on the DFPS website -- under minimum standards. It is an intensive look at your home -- along with private and group interviews with everyone who lives in the home. Your home would also be "walked" and measured to make sure you are in compliance. They will check your refrigerator -- and where you LOCK your medicines up at. They will check your soap/shampoos/toothpast for anything that says "keep out of reach of children." They will question you about your thoughts/beliefs/parenting strategies and how you were raised. It's pretty intense -- be honest about everything.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 3:45 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Well usually it consist of them just coming to look and make sure the kids are in a good environment. They will check and make sure that you have food, water lights stuff like that and that your home is clean. They will probably ask to see where the kids sleep at also, stuff like that to make sure that the kids are being well taken care of.
    sabrinaford0911

Answer by sabrinaford0911 at 3:48 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I wish our CPS was as thorough as that...when one was being done at my sisters, they came in sat at the table and laughed and joked the entire time...them babies are still being bounced all over the place and thrown to one irresponsible person after another so she can go get high....they are still being abused by their dad "who has been ordered not to have contact"...and CPS does absolutely nothing.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 4:25 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I have contacted CPS and so has my child's pediatrician. Nothing was ever done in all three cases. Another event involved the state police who told me to go to the hospital. When I met with a local police detective he straight up told me he WASN'T going to file a report with CPS. When I called the detective back two days later after not getting any call from him to find out if he had followed up with the father, he got an attitude with me and asked why DID I call in the first place?!? Really?! I am trying to find out what happened to my child and protect her! He went on to tell me that he did not contact the father. Nice...
    mom4life2011

Comment by mom4life2011 (original poster) at 4:44 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• When you call CPS to file a report -- always ask for the person's badge number -- you can always contact a supervisor if nothing is done. We do not have issues like those in East Texas -- I do not work FOR - CPS, I work with them -- placing their children via the private adoption agency I work for. Our homestudies are very thorough -- I have heard that the ones CPS contracts out for are not. If not satisfied, you can always hire someone to conduct another homestudy for you. CPS makes decisions everyday that I do not understand nor agree with -- the system isn't perfect, but currently it's the only one we have.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:51 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Sometimes CPS system sucks they sometimes mess with people who dont need them and dont mess with the ones who do. we just need to keep working to fix the problem.. I did I got people fired for not doing there job right
    butterflysmom

Answer by butterflysmom at 5:40 PM on Feb. 24, 2011