How do u deal with a pathological liar if ur married to them?

My husband is a big time liar, he lies about any and everthing, and to be honest i am a lil tied of it. To me it seems so childish to lie and ur a grown ass man. Please help me , dont wanna divorce my husband, but really these lies has got to stop.

sexylady82

Asked by sexylady82 at 3:37 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Relationships

• Counseling. I'm dealing with the same thing.
    Anonymous

• He probably has a personality disorder. Try getting a full psych work up done for him and go from there. Insist he follow through on what is recommended.

Answer by gemgem at 3:39 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• bust him on the lies you catch him in, and ask him if you deserve to be lied to - like you can't handle the truth? You're his wife, and supposedly an equal partner - ask him to treat you better than to lie to you all the time.
    hippomom1919

Answer by hippomom1919 at 3:40 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I divorced him. I gave him MANY chances and he simply preferred lying -- even when the truth fit better! Drove me crazy! It got to the point if he told me the sun was shining outside -- I would carry an umbrella because I just KNEW he was lying!

Good Riddance!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 3:40 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• If he is a pathological liar then maybe they're just flying out of his mouth wiithout him thinking about it if you know what I mean. Every time you think he's lying give him a chance to reconsider what he's just said and to change the answer with no repurcussions. I used to lie so much but my best friend started doing this years ago and slowly but surely I learnt to be truthful again! I don't even know what was wrong with me!
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 3:42 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Sounds like Narcissim ... however it is spelled....people with this always lie and don't even know the difference between the truth and a lie. my 1st husband is a constant lier and that is why we were divorced...just have to double check all the facts in the meantime and know that everything is a lie
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 3:47 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• So divorce is out of the question?? Then you will just have to put up with all his lieing.

Answer by louise2 at 3:50 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I couldn't be with someone without trust. I would be very clear to him about that and he would have to straighten up or find someone else to lie to.
    HKing01

Answer by HKing01 at 3:56 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• my sister is like this.. she will lie about things that do not even matter to anyone else.. like its lying to lie - that is basically trying to change someones whole personality and In my eyes.. that isn't very possible.. you could try counseling - my sister KNOWS she lies but she said she can't seem to help it...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:56 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Okay, Take this from a pathological liar's point of view for I am one and it frustrates not only my partner but my family as well. If he has had this since childhood then it has become habit and more than half the time he doesn't realise that he is doing it, it becomes that natural. Most pathological liars lie about silly things like who used the last of the toilet paper. If this is how he is yelling or confrontation only makes matters worse. The calmer and more understanding you are the better he'll respond. If it is about serious stuff than maybe it isn't pathological maybe it's something more serious that you two need to work on. But if it's just the petty lies then talking it over when it happens, letting him know you love him, and how it's hurting you for him to lie is the best advice I can give you. Or employing someone you trust and he is ultimately comfortable with like a best friend to do the talking for you.
    AllieWilliams

Answer by AllieWilliams at 3:59 PM on Feb. 15, 2011