My 6 yr old begging for soda....

every now and then we allow my son to have a soda ..(mostly when we are out at dinner and sometimes at home..but very rarely does that happen..maybe twice a week)..here lately though he has been walking up to me with one in hand and asking for one and i tell him "no not today, you shouldnt have them every day" i tell him to have milk or water. he gets upset and doesnt bother drinking anything! i'm worried he will dehydrate. should i make him drink?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 3:41 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• He won't dehydrate. He's being stubborn and testing your boundaries. Don't make him drink. Let him know that there is milk or water available when he wants it. He'll drink when he needs to.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 3:43 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• No means no and you don't have to give a reason. PERIOD. I have raised my boys this way from the get go and we rarely have an issue. My boys have learned if they persist I can make it a very very long time before they have said item...I will also not hesitate to take away priviledges. I have a zero tolerance policy.

I am not going to lie to you and say it is easy, because sometimes it isn't. However, if you stick to your guns you will make believers out of them. My boys are now 9 & 12 and I consider them easy to parent...but I know it is because I laid down the law from the beginning.

Good luck and remember just as denying the soda is best for them so is discipline. :)
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:45 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• When he is thirsty he will drink some water or milk.

Answer by louise2 at 3:45 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Instead of letting him have soda, could you try maybe getting some bubbly water and mix it with some good juice and tell him it's 'kid's soda'? This is something my girls enjoy. =)
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 3:46 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Dr.Donna is right about the dehydration...if he is truly thirsty he will drink...just as if he is truly hungry he will eat what you offer.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:46 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I agree with Dr. Donna. When my DD2 tries to pull that with me she goes thirsty until she drinks her milk or water.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 3:46 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• What about mixing juice with sparkling water for something that is fizzy but still healthy? They also make Propel drink mixes that are pretty tasty but without a ton of sugar. I think you need to stick to your guns and let him pout if he wants to, sooner or later he will get the picture. Soda is bad for your teeth, bad for your stomach, full of sugar or high fructose corn syrup and sometimes caffeine. It's a treat and if you have something every day then it isn't considered a treat anymore. If he brought you a piece of cheesecake he wanted to eat everyday I doubt you would give that the ok and the soda is not much different. Keep explaining to him why he can not have it, I doubt he will dehydrate, just make healthy beverage options available and don't let it become a battle.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:55 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Don't buy it anymore. If it's not in the house he won't ask for it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:59 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• he will drink when he is ready and just testing you to see if you will give in. If he sees you not giving in he will drink something I am sure. Maybe besides milk or water if can maybe make and try some koolaid or even juice. Just hang in there and he will be fine
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 6:26 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• he will get over it mama.....my son is 4 years and thanks to his father,he was obsessed with pop/soda whatever you want to call it.....but i broke him from that habit.....every once in a blue moon he will drink whats left of mine if i had some the night before and forgot to dump it out before bed.........but he doesnt ask for pop ever.....
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 3:00 PM on Feb. 16, 2011