Is it ok to use baby powder on a girl?

febmom007

Asked by febmom007 at 3:50 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• cornstarch variety is best

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:52 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Yes. If you're worried about it, sprinkle in onto the diaper and not her.
    Anonymous

• corn starch is much more healthy. I never used baby powder, just my preference as what I'm putting on my children's bodies.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:16 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I never heard anything bad about baby powder used on girls. I use baby powder I sprinkle it on her diaper and I dont use it all the time. Cornstarch works too.
    acruz86

Answer by acruz86 at 4:37 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I've been wondering because I've always heard that girls get infections and what not if you use powder.
    febmom007

Comment by febmom007 (original poster) at 3:54 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I always used straight corn starch and was careful not to over-sprinkle and only to sprinkle it on the outside. I have one daughter who can't even sit in bath water if it has ANY soap or shampoo in it at all without getting an infection or irritation, but she never got an infection from corn starch carefully applied.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:59 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Talc based powders caused lung problems use a cornstarch based one that should be okay. Still don't let it go up to her face to be inhaled. There is a yeast infection that girl babies can get however, I don't think it's been scientifically proven how it happens for sure. The theory is the power gets pasty and blocks the uninary tract causing infection. Just use it sparingly I guess.
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 3:59 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• As for as I'm concern their really NOTHING wrong of using BABY POWDER on a GIRL. I use to use it on all 3 of my GIRLS when they were all BABYS. Till they start getting a RASH on their bottoms & then my MOM told me to use CORNSTARCH BACK then in the 80"s.
    Cuteone52

Answer by Cuteone52 at 4:03 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I don't know that it will cause yeast infections, but it will make a yeast infection worse because yeast will feed on corn starch. At least this is what I was told by my ped. I say give it a try and see if your baby does well with it. And you should use the corn starch type, not the talc powders because you don't want baby inhaling that dust.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:24 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Baby powder as long as it does not contain talc is fine, just use very little., by the way this is not gender oriented in any way........

Answer by older at 4:33 PM on Feb. 15, 2011