Should we have cell jammers at high schools?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 3:54 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• NO! What if there's a emergency at school and kids need to reach their parents or vice versa? I'd freak if I heard something bad happened at my child's school and I couldn't reach them.
    Anonymous

• What is it? Something that makes their phone not work? That's a really bad idea. I want my son to be able to reach me if he needs to.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:57 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I text back and forth with my high schooler quiet often during the week.... if there is something exciting, a good grade, or a change in the sports schedule she will text me and let me know. She has even texted me 'love you' in the middle of the day for no reason. I would hate to loose that.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 3:58 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Many times we will text with my son "How are you getting to hockey practice?" "There is no late bus today", etc... I like that line of communication open.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:02 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I am not quite sure what it is, Im assuming it is something with making sure their phone does not work while on school grounds. I am NOT for this. I would like my kids to be able to contact me if there is an emergency!
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 4:06 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Sounds like a good idea to me *during school hours*. Sally and Suzie do NOT need to be texting each other about Joey's butt while sitting next to each other. When I was in school we had to sneak notes back and forth to each other. Kids should be paying attention in class, not trying to facebook/myspace/twitter.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:20 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• No, I don't. Anything could happen when a parent needs to get ahold of child, vice versa.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 5:22 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Honestly, there is NO REASON for teens to have their cell phone ON DURING SCHOOL HOURS!!! If you need to get a hold of your child, you call the front office and they get them. If your child needs to get a hold of you, they can phone from the office.

Jammers - that would be a bit over the top. But I know some teachers that do a cell phone check at our school because they are to be OFF during instructional hours.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:34 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I don't care either way. My son leaves his phone in his truck he isn't as attached to it like so many are. Somehow my generation managed just fine without cellphones in school I am sure kids today would be fine without the use of them during the school day.
    FricknFrack

Answer by FricknFrack at 5:35 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• No. We need to teach our children how to be responsible with such things as cell phones. "Blocking" their ability to use cell phones does not teach them anything it is simply a form of control. I also do not agree with blocking cell phones in cars.
    Crystal750

Answer by Crystal750 at 9:16 PM on Feb. 15, 2011