What are your thoughts of having a TV in a childs room?

At 2 years old?
At 5 years old?
At 10 year old and so on?

My FIL just called us about putting a TV in DD room. I personally am against it since she will be turning 5 soon. I think its too soon. I am just curious what everyone else thoughts are.

dragonqueen

Asked by dragonqueen at 4:07 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• My children will never have televisions in their rooms. There is one television in our home and that's the way it will always be.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 4:07 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• No.
    We have 2. One in the livingroom,1 in my room for PS3
    Both are supervised

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:09 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I'm against it. Completely. I don't have a TV in my own room, either. Having the TV in a public location teaches sharing and cooperation, encourages the family to spend time together and gives me the opportunity to see what the kids are watching. I wouldn't be able to have discussions with them about the content of their shows if I don't know what they are consuming.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 4:11 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• My DD is 8 1/2 yrs old and has a TV in her room. She always has. She doesn't just sit in her room and watch TV all night long either. She watches it once in a while when she wants. But mostly is in her reading and playing with her baby dolls.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 4:18 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• No.. TV is a family privilege. Their rooms are quiet places to sleep, read, etc... jmo
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:46 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I think prior to the 12-14-year-old range, I would be reticent about it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:10 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I did put a tv in my sons room when he was 5 (he's almost 15 now) and I'll tell you from one mom to another that I'm sorry I did it.
    It has been one of my worst parenting decisions EVER.
    He uses it now for all sorts of excuses...I can't fall asleep wo it....I need it to do my homework (BS!) and other excuses.
    Many Drs agree that kids (and adults) get too wired up mentally from tv and it doesn't help you fall asleep...because your brain is constantly absorbing the info while you sleep and you don't get a "restfull" sleep.
    I'd advise against doing it.
    Say you appreciate the offer but feel it's too soon and you'd rather he read.
    Good Luck Mama!
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 4:22 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• my oldest is 7 and no one has a tv in their room,,,,
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 4:23 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• well, i guess i am the black sheep here.

my oldest, 4, has a small one in her room and has had one in her room since she was 2. she does not watch it all day, infact, she is at school til 3 on weekdays. it is typically only on for a little while during the day while i am busy cooking/cleaning, and i do put it on for her when its her bedtime and let her lay in bed and watch tv for 1 hour OR for 1 movie. when that time is up it goes off. sometimes shes already asleep before the movie or hour is up. there is no cable on it. infact, my 4 and 2 year old are sitting behind me right now watching CareBears on the LIVING ROOM tv.

having a tv in a child's room does not automatically qualify them for obesity or mean its going to take away from family time. if you, as a parent, know how to set up rules with it everything will be fine.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:34 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I don't believe in having tv in the bedroom for anyone. I always felt it promoted poor sleeping habits. Whether it actually does or not, I don't know but tv in the bedroom is unnecessary in my house.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 5:02 PM on Feb. 15, 2011