Do you consider news corespondents brave for doing their job?

Example: On Friday February 11, the day Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak stepped down, CBS correspondent Lara Logan was covering the jubilation in Tahrir Square for a "60 Minutes" story when she and her team and their security were surrounded by a dangerous element amidst the celebration. It was a mob of more than 200 people whipped into frenzy.

In the crush of the mob, she was separated from her crew. She was surrounded and suffered a brutal and sustained sexual assault and beating before being saved by a group of women and an estimated 20 Egyptian soldiers. She reconnected with the CBS team, returned to her hotel and returned to the United States on the first flight the next morning. She is currently in the hospital recovering.

There will be no further comment from CBS News and Correspondent Logan and her family respectfully request privacy at this time.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 4:44 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it depends on what they do. If they go out and do that then yes, however the ones who have the nice cushy jobs where they sit in the studio with hair and make up artists, no. My moms neighbor is a videographer for our local news station. He was out filming the whole "balloon boy" thing. He followed the balloon and was there when they discovered he was not in it. I dont think that makes him brave but at least he didnt just sit in the studio.
    mrssmitley1210

Answer by mrssmitley1210 at 4:54 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Some are, risking life and limb in war zones . Every year , some lose their lives due to violence and natural disasters they are covering .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 5:53 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I personally think that the correspondents that go out and put themselves in dangers situations are sort of foolish. I don't mean that disrespectfully, and I am truly disgusted and sorry for what happened to Mrs. Logan. Things like that happening are the reason I think they are foolish. I understand it is their job to report the nesw, but i feel it is best for them to lookout for their safety !!! Does it REALLY matter if you have LIVE coverage from a riot in Egypt or any dangerous situation for that matter? I mean is it really going to make a difference if we see it for ourselves? I don't think there is any story worth anyone getting hurt over. Just my opinion, though.

MacyKaysMommy

Answer by MacyKaysMommy at 6:04 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Depending on the safety conditions of the story that they are covering, I would say definitely. Just because it's what they choose to do for a profession doesn't make it any less dangerous. Same as a soldier or fireman, I'd consider anyone who puts their life at risk for the benefit of others brave.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 6:07 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Sometimes, but I also think that correspondents put themselves in situations hoping for that Pulitzer Prize. Given the view of women in the Middle East, I don't think a woman should have been there doing any reporting. I also know that I'm not a journalist. I don't understand that drive to be in the middle of any thing and every thing that is going to for the story. I do offer my sympathy to her. She should have been able to go and just be an observer.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:12 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Well, only in the war zone and I agree with jesse123456's observation.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:28 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Don't you?
    peggy572

Answer by peggy572 at 11:01 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Well, Peggy~ does my opinion change your opinion? Lol. And if I were to give best answer right now, it would be to either mrssmitley, or Jesse. Hows that?
    grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 11:58 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• There's a fine line between bravery and stupidity, and they are capable of landing on either side of it on a case by case basis.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:29 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• "Well, Peggy~ does my opinion change your opinion? Lol. And if I were to give best answer right now, it would be to either mrssmitley, or Jesse. Hows that?"

Okay, I'll give a longer answer to your rather silly and obvious question. Obviously, a reporter covering a story in a country in the midst of a revolution or a war is in a lot more danger than a reporter in Washington covering congress or the White House. Yes, I would say that a journalist who places him/herself in a dangerous situation must be pretty brave. I wouldn't do it, but I commend those who do. I want to know that I'll see my husband and kids again at the end of my workday. There's no guarantee of that for reporters working in dangerous places.
    peggy572

Answer by peggy572 at 9:33 AM on Feb. 16, 2011