Car seat concern

My SIL is buying a forward facing carseat for her infant who is 7 1/2 months old. She is justifying it because she is almost 25 lbs and close to 30 inches. I can't force her to change her mind especially when her friends are telling her it's better for the baby to be comfortable. I just can't see how turning a 7 month old baby forward is safe at all!! It's insane. What do you think?

ajbrownies

Asked by ajbrownies at 5:01 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• It's illegal to turn an infant forward before 12 months.
    Anonymous

• In Indiana, they have to be a certain AGE besides weight and height requirements. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 5:04 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I know it's illegal. She said she called the Sheriff's office and they told her she'd be fine. I told her to call her doctor not the cops...
    ajbrownies

Comment by ajbrownies (original poster) at 5:07 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Cops will know the "laws"... but doing both are actually what she should be doing... if they both state it is alright than others should allow her to make her own choices

I asked the both, and forward faced when THEY stated... and never had any issues, but than again California is kinda strict? My son has to legally be in a carseat until 2nd grade... hahahaha
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 5:13 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Age AND weight should be considered because part of the safety concern is developmental -- a child's spinal column is not adequately fused to withstand a severe whiplash-type injury until a certain age, and better 2 years than 1, actually. Besides which, rear-facing is safer, PERIOD, regardless of age (even for adults).

As for comfort -- that's bogus. A child who has only ever rear-faced doesn't know any differently. An adult who's used to stretching out may feel cramped in that position, but a baby who's only ever done that (and who's extremely flexible anyway) won't. Case in point: my 3.5-yr-old recently decided he'd rather ride rear-facing like his 22-mo-old sister -- HIS CHOICE -- how's that for comfort? Also, there have been no known cases of broken legs due to rear-facing during a crash; compare that to the deaths caused by internal decapitation from forward-facing
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 5:23 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• First off it is a law in ALL states that the child must be a MINIMUM of 1 year AND 20 lbs before being turned around. Second that is the MINIMUM! It is safest to keep them rear facing for as long as they fit in the car seat. Personally my children are NOT minimums and were both rear facing as long as I could and at 5.5 and 3.5 years old are forward facing in 5 point harnesses even though both legally could be in just the booster seats in our state. There are no documented cases of broken legs from crashes rear facing, but there are plenty of documented internal decapitations forward facing both over and under the 1 years 20 lbs mark. Personally I would rather have a child in a cast from broken legs then in a casket from internal decapitation. Neither of my children EVER complained of being uncomfortable in their car seats.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:00 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Unfortunately, you've done just about all you can do. You've informed her that it is unsafe, illegal and stupid. Now, you just have to hope that she doesn't get into an accident. You can try educating her more, if you're comfortable doing so, and comfortable knowing that if she gets mad, she may choose to no longer speak to you.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:51 PM on Feb. 15, 2011