Do you think this is racist? Race baiting? How would YOU define this?

I have seen liberals on CM post Alternet links before... Liberals, are you a fan of Alternet?

~~~~~~

Black History Month is Herman Cain Playing the Race Minstrel for CPAC

In the immortal words of Megatron in Transformers: The Movie, Herman Cain’s speech at CPAC really is bad comedy. As you know, I find black garbage pail kids black conservatives fascinating not because of what they believe, but rather because of how they entertain and perform for their White Conservative masters.

When race minstrelsy was America’s most popular form of mass entertainment, black actors would often have to pretend to be white men, who then in turn would put on the cork to play the role of the “black” coon, Sambo, or Jumping Jim Crow. Adding insult to injury, in a truly perverse and twisted example of the power of American white supremacy black vaudevillians would often pretend to be white in order to denigrate black people for the pleasures of the white gaze.

Herman Cain–an ironic name if ever, and one more suited to a tragic figure in a Harlem Renaissance era novella–is not “blackening twice” as some race minstrels chose to do.

Instead, Herman Cain’s shtick is a version of race minstrelsy where he performs “authentic negritude” as wish fulfillment for White Conservative fantasies. Like the fountain at Lourdes, Cain in his designated role as black Conservative mascot, absolves the White racial reactionaries at CPAC of their sins. This is a refined performance that Black Conservatives have perfected over many decades and centuries of practice.....

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 5:11 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think "Funny" is defined by the intelligence of comedy not the race of the person who's acting it.
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 5:17 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I have never heard of Alternet before .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 5:50 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Whaaaat?
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:06 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• It will only be "racist," if it's something done by the "enemy". ~~~Alinsky~~~
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 6:07 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I find it 'race baiting'.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:08 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Its a wordy way of saying CPAC usues its blacks as tokens, no?

If that's the case, I have heard the sentiment before and while I think libs like Reid have done similiar things, I think republicans as a party feel the need to do this because of their lack of diversity

Michael Steele made some keen remarks about this issue, he was on point...he even went on Bill Maher and spoke of it briefly. It isn't a new concept but whoever the writer of this piece seems to like being dramatic
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:15 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Baiting? Not really, in my opinion. Pointing out hypocrisy is not baiting anyone. Obviously the guy is quite the militant. I have never heard of Alternet. Why were you reading it?
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 6:47 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I'm tired and cranky tonight ~ after reading that all I can say is that some people are only out there puffing out too much hot air ONLY because it is illegal for someone to just walk up and slap the stupid out of them.

Buff it and shine it up all purdy and it's still race baiting (and still steaming).
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 7:43 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Why were you reading it?

It was brought to my attention via a professor friend of mine...

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 8:01 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Pointing out hypocrisy is not baiting anyone

Wow, given the writing style and choice of words, you see it simply as pointing out hypocrisy, huh? Oooooo-K..

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 8:02 PM on Feb. 15, 2011