How exactly do people abuse the Welfare System?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:16 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• If you're like a former neighbor of ours, you work under the table, lie about what you make and don't pay taxes then tell the local public assistance office you only make half of what you really do. It's a lot easier than you think to forge pay stubs on a home computer with a good program and a printer.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 6:03 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I can tell you first hand. I worked for a welfare program where I managed recipient's job search. I got a LONG TERM client transferred to me from another county, complete with, basically, a letter of recommendation from her previous case worker. Her excuse for being on the system for 15 years straight - yes 15 yrs - was that because of her obesity she couldn't work so therefore she claimed a medical exemption.The letter on file from her "Doctor" looked suspicious to me, so I checked into it; the doctor had died 19 years earlier! NO kidding. So, I sent her to a doctor of MY choosing, a good, thorough doctor; she checked out with slightly high blood pressure and high cholesterol -- I sent her for a second opinion... same thing. SO I put her butt to looking for a job AND got her a job. She never showed up the first day. I gave her a penalty with a state report to investigate for fraud... a yr later she was convicted. Got 10 yrs
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 5:38 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Selling food stamps for money to buy beer or drugs or cigs
    Lying about what you have to obtain assistance
    Taking if you don't need
    delibaratly having kids to stay on assistance.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 5:19 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Use it as guaranteed supplemental income without a long term game plan on how they intend to 'get off the system'....
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:30 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• In terms of my SIL.....continuing to receive the amount of money for a family of 5 in food stamps when her children were taken away by my inlaws because she's on drugs.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:19 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• By using their Food Cards to buy food for non-walfare people in exchange for money et cet...
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 5:18 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I know many people who buy their kids sneakers that cost over $100. Their children always have the latest video game systems and video games, they drive expensive cars, have brand name clothes and always have the latest cell phones, but yet, they are on welfare and no one in the family works. They have more than I do and my DH and I both have full time jobs and we don't have credit card bills.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:30 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Another example: Momma was on welfare (FS and TANF), had 4 kids, 3 different dads, wasn't working, claimed NO child support. Said she couldn't work because she couldn't afford childcare, so I set up free childcare for her and got her a job. She quit two weeks later. Gave her a penalty, she was back in 60 days. I put her back to job searching. But I was suspicious of her new clothes, gobs of gold jewelry and her car that was a LOT newer and nicer than mine. I suspected she had a live in SO - so I did a surprise home visit. There was a male there, I identified him, he was a sex offender, who worked in the oilfield, made almost 3 times what I made and was registered to HER address. Further investigation turned up TWO dads who were giving her CASH for child support because they were being paid cash at their jobs. So she was getting money from 2 dads, the state (TANF) AND her SOs 90K a year income plus FS . They both went to jail.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 5:47 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Good for you Shelby! AWESOME!!! I have heard stories of people using obesity as an excuse for PA..... But WOW!
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:45 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• By wanting to be a SAHM, and abusing the privilege just to be able to stay home.

By trading food money for cigs, alcohol, etc.

By being dishonest about the amount of people that live in the home, or if they live there at all. For instance, someone I know tells the social services office that her son still lives with her so they won't reduce her benefits.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 6:03 PM on Feb. 15, 2011