Is a smoker worse than an alcoholic when you think about addiction?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:33 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Health

• I think they're both equally harmful in their own way. Smoking, not only hurts the smoker in numerous ways, but there's 2nd & 3rd hand smoke that can be harmful to others. & Drinking, can damage the alcoholic's health, and if they drive under the influence it can harm themselves & others. & I was raised by my mother, who is an alcoholic, & it hurts others emotionally to be around alcoholics.
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 11:38 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• The smoker do not hurt perfect strangers with the smoking, I do not believe in second hand smoke being as dangerous as a drunk driver getting behind the wheel.

Answer by older at 5:35 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• no because smokers don't lose their inhibitions and driving ability

June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 5:35 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I need a cigarette and a beer now. Simultaneously.
    xXxLillithxXx

Answer by xXxLillithxXx at 5:42 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• There was a study done in Britain last year of the overall economic and social effects of addiction which concluded that alcohol was the worst of all. I think cocaine came in 3rd and tobacco about 5th. I would have to go back to the BBC to find it . The results were controversial especially as it went against government policy on drugs , saying in effect that ' legal ' addiction does more harm than the illegal and socially incorrect ones . So many more people use alcohol than illegal drugs and tobacco so the total national impact on families can be more devastating . These results may not hold good for the US or other countries of course.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 5:45 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I can smoke and drive without killing anyone. I can't say the same about drinking and driving. I can smoke and not get into a fight, or rob, or get brave to do any number of things. I can smoke and not have blackouts from the night before. Drinking doesn't always allow me that. They don't have associations for the family of smokers to deal with the effects of it. They do have ALANON!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:00 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• No, smoking doesn't tend to affect a person's personality or the safety of others. Some alcoholics are violent, however. No not all but some. And most have a personality change.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 5:36 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• i think each person has their own battles. every person i know though who has faced addictions..has had the hardest time putting cigs down than anything else
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:35 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• No. As much as I hate second hand smoke, I have never seen a smoker smoke a pack of cigarettes, get behind the wheel and kill someone.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 5:58 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I can remove myself from a smoker but we are all vulnerable to a drunk driver.
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 5:58 PM on Feb. 15, 2011