And we wonder why

And we wonder why the US in in the state it is. A Texas school just kicked a 12 year old child out of school stating her hair was a distraction. She wanted red highlights for her birthday, and mom complied. Mom admits that it wound up being brighter than expected. But to kick the child out of school and tell her not to come back until her hair was back to its original color???!!??!

Come on, don't we have enough crap to deal with?

http://www.comcast.net/video/girl-booted-from-school-for-red-hair/1797344540/Comcast/1797042466/

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 6:08 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I guess it would all depend on what the school rules are. Many schools have a code of conduct that all students are to follow. If they violate those rules they face consequences for that action. It's no different than anything else in life. Take this site for example. They have TOS. If you violate TOS, they can boot you from here.

That said, I don't think the color was distracting and I don't really think it was worthy of suspension, but I don't make the rules.  It might have looked cute in her hair, but if she is allowed to have the red in her hair, they can't stop the next one from getting purple in their hair, or the punk crowd from having mohawks.  You probably see where I am going with that. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:33 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Why on earth would you put highlights in your elementary aged child's hair to begin with? Kids have enough problems with body image these days without Mom's helping out.

It is idiotic to complain BIGOTRY because the PARENT broke the school rules. IMO it is the MOM that should have gotten the punishment.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:17 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• BTW, Texas is my home state. It is a wonderful place to live and raise a family. They must be doing something right because they are one of the few states in the country that are weathering the economic storm.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:19 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I think her hair looks cute but unfortunately, rules are rules...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 7:20 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Rules are rules -- and I'm sure it's not 'just in Texas" where schools forbid classroom distraction -- this *particular story seems like overkill on the school's part... The hair we see on the clip doesn't look distracting at all.

I am a Texan - and I don't think calling all of Texas bigoted is very fair. But I'll let it pass cuz my gun is in the shop this week.

cowgirlwink

ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 7:44 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• eye rollingoh noes, harmless self expression gone rampant!

this is utter bullshit. make school compulsory and then use it to micro manage an individuals aesthetics. SO glad I homeschool. no one dictates what color or length my sons' hair can be. 

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:33 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Wow..I can't wait to move to Texas in 6 months :(

No offense to any Texans because I might like it there. Who knows.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 6:23 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• The rules for my kids school (public) clearly state that they MUST wear their hair a natural hair color. They also arent allowed to wear dangling earings and/or too much perfume :) If the RULE says no....then that's all that matters.
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 7:35 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Yeah I went to school in texas and my senior year I put red on my roots and got In School Suspension for two weeks would have been longer but I gave in and just colored my hair.
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 6:18 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I agree op, that the school was over the top on this one.

Answer by older at 9:06 PM on Feb. 15, 2011