State employees paying their own way??

What do you think about state employees being asked to pay into their own pensions and insurance coverages?? Is it wrong to ask them to do so because they haven't had to pay in the past???

skittles1108

Asked by skittles1108 at 6:27 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• No it isn't . I think state employees are paid pretty well and they can afford it. Why should the tax payers have to pay their way?
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 6:37 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• As in co-pays and such for insurance?

Do you have a link?
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 6:37 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Mommom23 - You THINK they are paid pretty well...actually not ALL of them are. BIG misconception, FYI.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 6:40 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I've always paid into my own pension plan. I think it's quite fair.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:47 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• No, I don't think it is either, and as a teacher I AM a state employee! I would MUCH rather be allowed to invest MY money MY way! I'll bet I can generate MUCH more money than the state (who hasn't been investing the money they said they would, and instead "borrowing from the coffers") would ever be able to do! I would ALSO like to get back every penny I've paid into social security over the past 30 years, so I could invest that money as well...especially since it is NOT going to be there for me when I retire in some 20-25 years!! Ugh.

As far as I'm concerned, if you can't be bothered with LEARNING how to GROW your OWN money--save it, invest it, etc., and NEED someone else to do it on your behalf, then you and your money SHOULD part ways!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:48 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• http://www.jsonline.com/news/opinion/115993739.html
    skittles1108

Comment by skittles1108 (original poster) at 6:48 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• My husband works for the state prison and they pay his insurance but he has to pay ours which is like $500 a month and he doesn't get paid a lot so I hope they don't start making him pay his own, that will just add an extra $200 out of his check.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 6:51 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Cheekycherub - I KNOW they are paid well. I recently interviewed for an entry level position that started at a very decent rate.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 6:52 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Septa employees had a strike over this a few years ago

Saying it was equal to a reduction in pay (they were being asked to pay a small portion of their healthcare)

Lk, your ss will still be there

I can't make a judgement, I don't know what their full deal.
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:56 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• What do you think about state employees being asked to pay into their own pensions and insurance coverages?? Is it wrong to ask them to do so because they haven't had to pay in the past???

States are so far in debt because of unfunded pensions, I support employees paying into their own pensions...  They could simply be out of a job..  Because if pensions stay, in some states I have read where they would have to cut 25%+ jobs in some economically struggling states...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:06 PM on Feb. 15, 2011