Traveling almost 1500 miles with 2 kids

For spring break hubby and I are taking our 2 kids, ages 11 and 5, on a road trip from Michigan to Texas. Any good advice on traveling in a car with 2 kids for almost 23 hours?

Amy_M

Asked by Amy_M at 6:28 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Travel

• take breaks often and bring things like a ball or frisbee to play at rest stops, plenty of snacks, I still remember when a kid and now do for my girls and that is bring stuff like a new cd, book, journal to write about trip, sticker books, just something new when we had used all our stuff we had bought with us. If like my girls they will even sleep some. Also I carry bucket for just in case a sick kid and travel medicine, a good pillow or blanket.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 6:31 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Sedation! LOL- JK!! Hope you have hand held games, a DVD player & lots of snacks. Even tho we had all those things on a similarly long trip from OH to FL., we vowed to fly next time! GL! (*& Have a safe trip!)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:32 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Good luck!!!! If you do not want to be stoping to use the toilet every hour. Do not let them drink anytime they want. Hope they go to sleep.

Answer by louise2 at 6:41 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Thanks ladies. We are planning on leaving after dinner time, since we know they will be excited, then hopefully sleep for a while. Buying them something new is a good idea, hopefully they wont get bored so fast with it.
    Amy_M

Comment by Amy_M (original poster) at 7:16 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• good luck!
    autbot

Answer by autbot at 10:35 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I travel long distances with my kids every summer. I try to break it up when traveling during the day (the only time for me because I do it solo.) I try to find different silly places to go, like the world's largest ball of twine or Car Henge. I love to look on roadsideamerica.com to see what there is from our pointA to B and back.

balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:04 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• thanks balagan I have been trying to find interesting things to see along the way...this website looks great!
    Amy_M

Comment by Amy_M (original poster) at 1:11 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Dvd player in the car or I use my Laptop for them to watch movies on. Bigger screen. Keeps them occupied but every couple hours you'll have to let them get out and run a bit. It's gonna be a long trip.
    AequitasVeritas

Answer by AequitasVeritas at 11:59 AM on Mar. 2, 2011