What did you get for Valentine's Day?

I gave my SO a card, and I told him his gift would be late, because I don't have the money for it right now. His birthday is on the 24th, so it will also be a birthday gift. In return I got, "Hey babe, thanks for the card". I wouldn't be upset except that he's forgotten my birthday and Mother's Day for the last 2 years. He apologizes later for it, but it never seems to change. I haven't talked to him since yesterday, and last night he slept on the couch, his choice. Am I being overly dramatic?

MomMom23

Asked by MomMom23 at 6:35 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Relationships

• Nothing. I completely let him and me off the hook with the whole Valentine's thing. BUT, my ex ALWAYS forgot me - every single holiday, birthday, Christmas, anniversary, you name it -- if it was an opportunity for him to be nice to me, he never ceased to let me down. I can't tell you how many times I heard "I wanted to get you something"..... JUST because you said that I'm supposed to let you off the hook for ALWAYS forgetting me.... but like I said, he's my EX Husband. Eventually I stopped getting anything for him - EVER.
    you are NOT being overly dramatic -- there's some very important elements missing in your relationship - consideration and recognition are two I can name right off the bat.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 7:07 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Yes. Stop worrying about it. I would also stop getting him anything.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 6:39 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Nothing,we don't celebrate it.
    Sorry to hear about how he treated you

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:44 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I got a really nice card, and some Godiva chocolate covered strawberries. I got him the same.
    EttaMay

Answer by EttaMay at 6:45 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I got him a card and some chocolates. He got me a ton of candy and a card as well.
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 6:51 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• awww I'm sorry he treated you that way ;(

I got a combined V-day / Anniversary present (a trip for my husband and I and our 2 daughters to go to Italy at the end of the month to see my family) Really it doesn't matter what you get/give, it sounds cliche but it really is the thought that counts. Anything thats given from the heart no matter if its expensive jewelry or a homemade card is a great Valentines gift.
    Aria_2

Answer by Aria_2 at 7:06 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• My husband brought me home flowers and a card. Then he took me out to my favorite store and bought me a couple outfits and a new purse. Hes awesome. Im sorry your dh forgets.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 7:09 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• My husband bought me the cupcake cookbook I have always wanted!!
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 7:52 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• We only exchanged cards. We dont have the money now, our First Anniversery was the day before and we did the same.
    Love Matters more.
    My ex husband never even gave me cards on holidays or Birthdays let alone gifts. But he didnt treat me right any ways.
    If your husband forgets holidays etc and treats you well all other days thats ok, hurtful yes and yes he needs to do some changes. If he is horrible all the timke verbal abuse or physical abuse or you just cant see eye to eye anymore than its time to get out before you get too hurt.
    21lisa72

Answer by 21lisa72 at 8:57 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I got some chocolates,nice dinner & a 9 mm gun oh & a new sectional couch I've been wanting. Loved everything!!!!! Sorry that he wasn't being very thoughtful of you. That would of hurt my feelings too. I know he keeps saying he's sorry but actions speak louder than words & you need to tell him how it makes you feel. If I were you I wouldn't bother to get him anything anymore.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 8:58 PM on Feb. 15, 2011