Need help...

I'm a Christian mother who struggles but tries to carry a relationship with God. Lately, I feel rather sad because I read these verses about loving God more than anything, which I get. However, it talks about not being able to love your kids or family the same. I do love God but now I'm afraid I dont love him enough. I feel as if I make repetitive sins, try and fail, and am almost worthless. I constantly feel guilty when I buy something nice for my girls or dont settle for less. The bible states to give up everything for God. Does this mean I shouldn't buy nice things? Have a family? I feel lost. I also desire to have more children and constanly think about it (total baby fever lol), and I feel guilty for that like God thinks I'm not content. Is this bad? I'm lost. I pray and still feel discouraged. :(:(:(:(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Loving and putting your kids and family first IS loving God. Being a good parent, spouse, friend, daughter is loving God. God would not want you to nelgect your kids and family to worship Him.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:57 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Those are a few of the reasons I chose to live without religion. Good luck to you.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 6:58 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Where does it say that in the bible i never read that before you should love your kids as much as you love GOD always put GOD first in your life and i promise nothing could go wrong just pray and pray until you dont feel discouraged anymore thats the devil trying to keep you from praying dont let that feeling get in the way im promise you just got to be strong so the devil wont win just continue praying im also a christian women and i was also struggling with having a relationship with him but what i did was i pray everyday and i started to feel better and it feels as if i got closer to him again :-) .God bless you and your family .
    alexia_09

Answer by alexia_09 at 7:02 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• i take it too as it doesnt mean to neglect your family--and remember HE is the one that gave you the kids, family in the first place-HE entrusted you with them--I would take it more as trusting in HIM, and seeking the answers from HIM first per se on what to do with the family--but not taking it to the extreme full of legalism, etc--you cant set yourself up on loving HIM enough--that is legalism and too much religion--concentrate on a relationship with HIM and all will be fine (all just my opinion) I too hate religion
    jdmyangel

Answer by jdmyangel at 7:02 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I suggest that you go in and talk to your minister, rabbi, priest, or whoever your religious leader is. Sometimes we make interpretations and assumptions about scripture that really are not interpreted that way bu our church. Many people find they are relieved when they can have a pow-wow with their minister.
    Please give yourself a break from the guilt and go get some advice. I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised.
    By the way, if you don't belong to a church or other religious organization, you can still go and talk to someone.
    Personally, I consider all living things to be extensions of "God", and do not beileve that we should have to "choose" who we love more. My God wants us all to love each other, love our children, and treat our fellow humans with the utmost respect, dignity, and acceptance. . . . . Just my two cents . . . .My God EXPECTS me to have huge, unconditional love for my family. That is my job.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:03 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Putting God first, focusing on Him, usually leads to a lot of the other stuff in our lives just kind of fall into place. If God is a priority in your life and you are abiding in His love, then you will have more love and patience to give to your family. And it doesn't mean that you never have nice things, it just means knowing and acknowledging WHO provides you with those things.

I do understand what you mean about wanting another baby. I have been TTC for over a year and God has not seen fit to give me another baby. I do feel selfish sometimes and like I'm just not being thankful enough for what I have. I just have to keep reminding myself that God knows the perfect timing for another child, and he may have another plan for me entirely...like adoption. I have to pray daily for patience, but I promise that doesn't make either one of us ungrateful or worthless to God.

asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 7:36 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• The means don't love your family so much that they come before Him. He should be first in your life, then your family. so go ahead and splurge a little on your kids every now and then :) it doesn't mean you can't do that. i'm assuming you're part of a church? just make sure you keep up with your tithing, offering, missions, attendance, read his word, pray, ect. sometimes we find ourselves in a bind and can't afford much except bills, other times we find ourselves with some extra, and we budget in where we can splurge on the kids or each other. we just make sure we pay our tithes and things.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:43 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I encourage you to do deeper studies of those scritpures. God never wants us to be without but He wants us not to lean more on material things then Him. When we truly LOVE God nothing else matters... what I mean by that is nothing else is before God. However He wants you to have nice things... everything in the Kingdom is yours, the key is not to allow it to come before God.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:30 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I understand how you feel. When I was first starting my relationship with Him and growing closer to Him I had a lot of the same feelings. We all sin and we all fall short, but you said you try, and that is the important part. As long as you are trying to work on your sins, that is good. It is when people continue to sin and do nothing to change or repent that it becomes an issue. As far as not having anything nice, that is not what I believe the bible means. As another poster stated, I believe it means to Love Him more then material things, and just because you have something nice doesnt mean your a bad person. I understand your thoughts as well on the loving God more than your family. I struggled with that too for a while, however I learned that my children are His. He gave them to me to raise, however, He is their creator, and I believe that the Bible is telling us to love Him more because.... To be continued
    Godslight85

Answer by Godslight85 at 9:18 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• they belong to Him. Yes we may have given birth to them, but in the long run, He is the one in contrl of their lives as well as ours. We are here because He allows us to be here, if that makes any sense.

You are not a bad person, and from what I read of your question you are actively trying to improve your relationship with Him and become closer to Him. I am happy to see you reaching out for answers, and I hope I as well as these other ladies have helped. Also when I have questions I turn to God and pray and ask Him for clarification. This doesnt mean you will hear a voice but He may point you to a verse that helps clarify the answer for you or He may send someone into your life to have a conversation with that is about what you are wondering. Hope this makes sense, sorry im tired... But He has always answered me as long as I was open to hearing His response.
    Godslight85

Answer by Godslight85 at 9:25 PM on Feb. 15, 2011