Is it ok to eat deli meat while pregnant?

I heard that you weren't supose to eat deli meat or hotdogs when you are pregnant. Is that true? I heard it from a friend and I heard it when I looked it up online. I forgot you can't eat deli meat while pregnant and I ate it a couple weeks ago then I forgot again and I was going to eat that for dinner tonight because I didn't feel like cooking today. The kids and DH ate a sandwhich, but I forgot you can't eat deli meat (or so I heard) and I don't want to cook something just for me because I can't eat deli meat. So does anyone know if that is actually true? I heard cause it has some kind of bacteria in it. Also wanted to see if that was true about the hotdogs because I have been craving hotdogs? By te way I am 15 weeks today.

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 7:17 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Pregnancy

• You're supposed to heat it up first. A few seconds in the microwave. I never did and have 3 healthy kids.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 7:18 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I ate subway all through out my pregnancy and my son is perfectly healthy.... but I heard you are supposed to heat it up first
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 7:20 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• it is very okay but i only eat and ate turkey from deli's
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 7:27 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• You aren't supposed to eat it due to the possibility of listeria, but if you heat it to at least 165 degrees then you kill it. Safer not to eat it at all, but if you do then you should always heat it. Hot ham and swiss is good!

Answer by missanc at 7:38 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Nuke it first. That being said many women still eat it.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:39 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• i ate subs and sandwiches at home all the time
    my ds is fine
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 8:07 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• i've ate subs and hotdogs throughout my pregnancy...and am so far fine. i'm 36 and a 1/2 weeks
    kristina.de

Answer by kristina.de at 10:07 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• They say to heat it up. I've had it with out heating it a few times and it's been fine. Make sure its not old or anything though.
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 11:31 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I know it is on the list of "don't dos" but I do it anyway. My list of "don'ts" is much shorter: No hard liquor. No raw meat.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 7:46 PM on Feb. 17, 2011