When tums doesn't work...

what would you use... i had the worse heart burn the other day and tums didn't work... i sat up even drank some water... but nothing worked... what helped you?

Lynnsae

Asked by Lynnsae at 7:25 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It does not taste good but it works. A glass of water and a tablespoon of baking soda. Works like a charm.

Answer by louise2 at 7:27 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I realized what foods caused it. Tomatoes, tomato sauce, ketchup made it so bad. I tried to stay away from it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:30 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Zantac. I seriously had the worst heartburn ever with my second daughter, and when Tums stopped working, the doc told me to get some Zantac. It helped too thankfully.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 7:32 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Zantac was GREAT!!!
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 7:35 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• When u lay down make sure it's on your left side, it blocks stomach acid from comming up. Also there is a prescription med. for preg. women, ask your doctor. I had it so bad while I was pregnant and it gets worse the bigger you get.
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 7:35 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• A glass of milk will sometimes help because it's a base and counteracts the acid in your tummy. Mine was so bad I went through 5 different prescription meds when I was pregnant with #4 until I finally found nexium which worked - but I was throwing up and losing weight so I needed something!

Answer by missanc at 7:39 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• a glass of milk and tums normally worked for me
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 7:50 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I use Zantac, it's the best.
    Saranda

Answer by Saranda at 8:24 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I've heard good things about Zantac, I think you can also take Prilosec, but ask your doc.
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 11:29 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Glass of milk worked for me too!
    mysticlady1221

Answer by mysticlady1221 at 2:16 AM on Feb. 17, 2011