How do you handle insomnia?

zebbiebug

Asked by zebbiebug at 7:32 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Health

• I watch HGTV . . . it always does the trick. :)
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:43 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• warm milk or chamomile tea, and I recently heard that tart cherry juice helps with insomnia because of the natural melatonin in it.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:35 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• With a television remote in one hand and a couple of Tylenol PMs. Tried valerian root once -- gave me horrible night terrors.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 7:48 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I just sit here on cafemom. It's 1am now, the start of another long night... But anyway helpful answers wise, I have tapes. At the moment I'm listening to The Horse and his Boy from the Narnia series. I find the Harry Potter tapes ready by Stephen Fry awesome too. You can get them from libraries normally. I know that's not going to work for many people but me but lying there in the dark with my tapes playing and listening to a story really helps me relax a little bit and occasionally I do doze off during.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 7:53 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I take melatonin before bed.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 7:57 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I have a prescription for Ambien CR. Works like a charm. It's too habit forming though so I only use it on a PRN basis.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:05 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I try to read through it. My insomnia always involves either waking up for an hour or two during the night, or waking up insanely early in the morning and not being able to get back to sleep. I freaking hate hate hate it. I try to stay in the bed and read because I know if there's any chance I might fall back asleep, I will ruin it if I get up and start doing stuff.

Sometimes, when I know that I'm probably going to wake up in the night (I have hormonal insomnia), I take an over-the-counter sleep aid. It works about half the time. The other half of the time, it just makes me feel even worse because now I'm sleep deprived and hangovery feeling.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:39 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Take a night cap, I take an ambiem at times, I hear if you eat Turkey it will help you sleep...not too sure. Also warm milk with a little bit of honey. Oh and if all fails try not to think of nothing only the number 300 and start to count backwards DO NOT let nothing else in your mind or it won't work..this helps me a lot too. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 8:57 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• For some reason a cup of hot chocolate milk helps me.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:11 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I had this problem for a very long time and I could not find a way to cure my habit. Then I stayed up for over 24 until 8 pm then took 3 Tylenol Pm's and was asleep by 9pm and I woke up around 5 am. so now this almost my sleeping time and I am sleep before 11pm and waking up around 530am. Good Luck and let me know how it goes.
    kalynskorner

Answer by kalynskorner at 11:30 PM on Feb. 15, 2011