Why are so many of you confusing "evolution" with "science"?

Science is not fact, the laws of Physics are facts.

Science is the concerted human effect to understand the history of the physical universe and how it works with observance of physical evidence as the basis of that understanding through observation and experimentation that simulates natural processes under controlled conditions.

Scientific theories are scrutinized constantly as hypothesis's are formed, experimented upon, data collected, analyzed, interpreted and conclusions drawn. As new physical evidence is discovered the hypothesis may be tested again.

Some people think that scientists have accumulated so much knowledge that it is sure to be fact. An example is our common belief that the earth orbits the sun. So much evidence exists that this is the case that most of us take it for granted. The fact is no human has seen the earth traveling in an orbit around the sun. It is a scientific theory, a well believed one, but still a theory.

In a similar sense, just because science hasn't proved something to be a physical fact, that doesn't mean that it isn't truth, just that science hasn't proved it yet.

Most scientists will concede that, although they seek Truth, they don't know or generate truth. They propose and test theories, knowing that future evidence may cause refinement, revision, or even rejection of todays theories. Otherwise we' have no need for scientists anymore.

Evolution is a scientific theory; It is the most agreed upon theory of how the Earth was formed in the scientific community. It's ok to teach scientific theories in school as long as they are not taught as fact. As of today, evolution has not been proven, it is still a theory. If you want to be scientific you must question the theory of evolution and encourage your children to do the same.

onethentwins

Asked by onethentwins at 7:53 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• because people didn't actually pay attention in school
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 8:41 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• There is proof to evolution everywhere in the natural world. Every plant or animal on the planet has to evolve as its environment evolves or gets altered by humans. Evolution doesn't refer only to humans.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 8:08 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• If your own OP is stating that Evolution is a Scientific Theory, why do you feel people confuse Evolution with Science? It's not confusion.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 8:00 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• THANK YOU!!!!!! I spent a good part of this afternoon arguing with someone about this. Just because I don't believe that evolution is fact, that means that I don't believe in ANY science and that I'm uneducated. And I'M the one who is being accused of being close-minded and brainwashed. Talk about irony!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:15 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• *now has eye twitch and a red spot on forehead*
    I give up ... it's quite obvious that when it comes to evolution some people are always going to believe that it ONLY means change from one species to an entirely different one. Apparently they do not understand or REFUSE to understand that evolution is simply CHANGE!!

I will leave you with the Definition of Evolution: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/evolution

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:50 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• sounds like a effort to hide a religious statement to me.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 8:02 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• So you're telling me that when an animal has to find a new food source because the one it relied on before is now gone, that there isn't proof of that? There's no proof when something becomes extinct? Does this make extinction only a theory as well?

I agree with you that evolution is a part of science, all science isn't evolution. All science evoloves though.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 8:16 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• You've never seen a dog turn into a bird have you?  [bethsunshine]

Why do people think that is what evolution means?? Do they not own a dictionary?? 

Sorry OP, but that comment is just dumb and irritates the hell out of me when people say stupid things like that. 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:38 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Let's say for the sake of argument Evolution has been proved to be a fact. Evolution is not synonymous with Science, and Science is not synonymous with Evolution. Evolution is just a small part of Science.

---

I did read your post, and I could tell that you don't understand the difference between fact and theory by saying it's STILL a theory. It's a common misunderstanding. Another better explanation (theory) of observations might replace a current theory, but a theory will NEVER become a fact or a law. A scientific theory EXPLAINS facts and laws.

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:10 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Religion, Science, theory, fact, evolution, creationism- they can all go together and not cancel each other out if you are willing to listen and understand another persons beliefs, Faith and POV.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:00 AM on Feb. 16, 2011