Would you tell someone to spank their child when acting out?

my son is 7 he is autistic he is a very smart loving child who trys really hard to let people touch him and talk to him even tho it is painful for him. normally he is very well behaved never wants to get in trouble but on occasion he has outburts where he might scream loudly or tell someone please dont touch me or talk to me i dont like it i have tryed and succeded at gettin him to tell people when they r bothering him in a nice way he always says please but i have had several people tell me my child is rude and needs to be spanked well you cant spank an autistic child your only gone make him withdrwl and not speak or move for days. I get very upset when people say this and usually tell them hes autistic and they should mind their own biz. would you tell someone to spank their child if you felt they were bot doing "good parenting" of a "rude child"?

Hbabygirl476

Asked by Hbabygirl476 at 7:53 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Hello People, This child is AUTISTIC! I had bolded it just in case you are missing this in her question. How could you spank a child that has a non controllable mental disabilities. This child is not an ADHD huge difference. Hbabygirl476, you need not to listen to anyone. They are not in your situation. You should read books on control discipline behaviour on autistic children and you should be able to find some advice to guild you on how the both of you can work on signs of uncomfortable situations. I have sevral friends that has a child with Autisim and i would never know how to give them parenting skills because I only know what works for me and my children. Spanking is not one of them. Good Luck Sweetie please keep us updated.

kalynskorner

Answer by kalynskorner at 12:20 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Never, spanking is way over rated.

Answer by older at 7:55 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Spanking is not okay. People do it, but it is ineffective and abusive. Yes, I would be offended. I would explain that he is autistic, and it is normally not a good idea to hit people who are disabled.
    People and unbelieveable sometimes.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:56 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• i would not. It only aggrevates the situatiom furthur, it can humiliate the child and teach them to hit when they are upset
    21lisa72

Answer by 21lisa72 at 7:59 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• i would never tell a parent how to discipline their child, autistic or not. if the child is being rowdy in a public place or touching things that shouldn't be messed with and the parents are just sitting on their hands, i will probably tell the mom to get their kid or tell the child his/her mom is looking for them. but i usually don't open my mouth.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 8:00 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I get this reaction from ignorant people when my autistic son has an issue in public. It's really not worth getting your dander up about it. They are ignorant about his issues. I just smile and say, thank you for your advice and walk away. Like I said, it's really not worth it.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:20 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Absolutely not. I don't believe in spanking.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:00 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• no spanking is never the answere
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 8:06 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• But I do know for a fact if you hit an autistic child you will either make them withdrawl or make them hit people thinking its the way to deal with things
    ______
    Actually, autistic children are like any other children. It can work for some, but not for others. Just being autistic doesn't disqualify them from spankings.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:03 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• No. I'm not going to tell another mother how to discipline her child. It's not my business.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 10:34 AM on Feb. 16, 2011