How much do your children have?

I know that I can't be the only person who likes to splurge on clothes and shoes for the little ones.  I was told today that I am an idiot for everything I bought for them with our tax check.  Well, most of that money came BECAUSE of them so why not?!  It feels good to see them have lots of shoes and clothes.  I didn't have ANY of that when I was their age.  I was lucky to get hand me downs that weren't extremely too small. 

MrsHouston47302

Asked by MrsHouston47302 at 9:05 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Sometimes people feel that since children outgrow their clothes so quickly that it is better to put the money toward enough clothes to wear and then toward something that can be used more. We put extra money into a college fund. Since you enjoy their having clothes so much, then it is a good thing. It is good to get enjoyment from life.

Answer by Bmat at 9:10 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Maybe what they are saying is that you should be investing for their college or purchase something that will grow in value.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:07 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• truthfully i don't buy them too much shoes and clothes, but that's hard now that i have a girl lol. they each have 2 pairs of everyday shoes and then a pair of dress shoes. they have enough clothes that i don't have to wash constantly lol. they have enough toys.... most from what they get for their birthdays and christmas. i put alot of money into their savings accounts so they won't be burdened with too many student loans when they go to college. i would rather save than splurge.....i've always been like that lol

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:09 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Way more than they need, but mostly because their grandparents buy for them (and my MIL sews really cute matching outfits for my 2 little ones!). But I grew up with a lot - it's very unimportant and if it were up to just me they wouldn't have as much.

Answer by missanc at 9:07 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• You are not an idiot. If you have the money to splurge on them than go ahead! I used to splurge on my DD but right money is tight. We don't have any worries unless we splurge. But things are good!
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 9:07 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• My children have alot of clothes. They use alot of secondhand stuff but it is all name brand and nice. My mom also likes to buy them tons of stuff.
    HKing01

Answer by HKing01 at 9:08 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I have more than enough clothes for my two-yr old, but the other kids only have what they need. We really can't afford to be over-generous and really, what's the point? Enough is sufficient. Excess is wasteful. But I see what you're saying - it is fun to splurge on your kids if and when you can afford to.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 9:08 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• My kids had what they needed but I tried to not have so much that they began to think things were owed to them. I usually made them wait to get something they 'wanted' and earn it. They could do chores and such to work towards something. Nothing on credit meaning they could get it now and work it off. They had to work it off and then get it. I just didn't want them to feel entitled or think they can 'borrow' to get things.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:12 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• my ds has enough for each season..meaning, he has enough shirts/shorts/pants to last, wearing over and over, each season. i don't overbuy, because of a sale, or because i don't want him to have to wear the same thing too often. he wears the same things often!
    and other than specific shoes for certain sports he plays, he has a pair of school shoes, and a nicer pair of shoes for occasions that call for a different shoe--like a nice restaurant or church or some other 'dressy' outing.
    now, the Legos and books and Legos and games and Legos are a different story!
    i won't tell you how much to spend on your kid, if you don't tell me how much to spend on mine..deal? lol!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:15 PM on Feb. 15, 2011