My 17month old boy doesnt talk

he says mum mum mum and dad dad dad but not ta or any other basic words that he should be saying. we encourage him to talk by saying "say ta" and repeating what it is he is after but he just continues to grunt. he fall over quiet a bit to. do you think he could have something wrong with his ears. he does seem to hear fine.

shirl16

Asked by shirl16 at 9:16 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son has does the same thing at 17 months. he CAN say the words, he just doesnt want to. We have spoken with his dr numerous times and she keeps telling us that around 20 months a lot of kids just start talking. ask the dr, do a hearing test, but try to not stress. keep working with him.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 9:18 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• My son wasn't talking much at 17 months either. At his 2 year checkup, I talked to his Ped about it. That got him a hearing test (less than 5 minutes and super easy). Then he went into speech therapy for 3 months. That did the trick for him....now at 3 years I can't shut the boy up.

SouthernMama08

Answer by SouthernMama08 at 9:29 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• That's very common he's not gonna start talking that much until he is 2 or 3 , my son does the same thing but I just keep working with him and now he says more words the more you talk to him the more he'll want to talk and repeat what u say if u still have concerns discuss it with his pediatrician and they can run tests to make sure
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 2:30 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I have heard that boys reach their milestones later than girls. So that could be a factor.
    I would be very concerned as well. Have you spoken to his Dr about it? He may just have a speech delay. And the sooner you can find out, and get him some help, the better off he will be.
    Don't get upset or stressed. He may just need some extra help.
    Good luck!
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 2:20 PM on Feb. 20, 2011