Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Changing my son's name??

His sperm donor is not on the birth certificate, but is paying (sometimes) court ordered child support. We live in VA, but he was born in FLA. Does anyone know what I need to do to change his last name and if I need consent? Bio will sign if I do need consent but I am just at a loss as to where to start, if I can do it, how much it will cost ect.

Answer Question

Asked by mommymeg03 at 9:36 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 13 (1,235 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Here is what you can do. Either buy a book on name change in VA or go to and do it online. It is very easy and you do not need a lawyer. You do have to run through hoops and go to court, though, but the books or Nolo will walk you through it. Doesn't matter if he was born in FLA, you can get it done in VA.
    Hope that helps.

    Answer by ImaginationMama at 9:38 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

  • Each state and county is different on cost. Go to the website for your county clerk and see what the fee is. Some require an attorney. Some do not and they have the forms online.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

  • You don't need Nolo. Your county clerk will walk you through it for free

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

  • I agree with Anon. Got to your county clerks office and the will walk you through the paperwork for FREE, no need to buy a book. It will be a lot easier that the father is willing to sign the paperwork to change the child's name.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:50 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

  • County clerks office may help free with the paperwork, but that doesn't mean it is free to change the name. When you contact the office find out what the fee is for a legal name change.

    Answer by summerbear at 9:58 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

  • Whoever has custody has the rights... but go down to the local "Family Court House", the window you snag papers to fill out and turn in, they can tell you which packet you need to do it, and add to the custody order? If a straight name change than that is seperate but I added my eldest son's to the custody papers... and wasn't going to ask my ex's permission

    Answer by MommaClark3 at 10:12 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.