Has anyone ever used Breastmilk to cure pink eye?

I heard of this, but I wasnt really sure if anyone has tried it.

RiaChristine

Asked by RiaChristine at 9:42 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I used it to clear up a clogged tear duct. Never pink eye though, I don't think my older children would sit still while I tried to squeeze breastmilk into their eyes...lmao!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:43 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I have a friend who did and yes, it worked.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:48 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Not conjunctivitis, but I have used it for clogged tear ducts, and ear infections. Worked like a charm!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:54 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• My co-worker (who has 9 kids) has done this every time her family has pink-eye. She actually talks about having to find someone who's nursing to give them breastmilk if/when someone gets it again, lol. So I'd said with all that effort, it definitely works.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:12 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Not me, but two friends of mine have.

Another friend tried to clear her daughter's clogged tear duct with it, and it didn't work.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 10:12 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• "At a hospital in Spain, babies diagnosed with neonatal sticky eye were treated either with antibiotics or breast milk. Babies treated with breast milk generally recovered much faster: 26 out of 45 (57%) of those receiving milk had recovered after 30 days, compared with 3 out of 20 (15%) of those receiving antibiotics."  Read the article here

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:28 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Not pink eye, but I used it when I scratched my cornea and it was infected. When I went to the eye doctor, he told me he was amazed at how fast it was healing, and wanted to know what I was doing. I told him and he was horrified! LOL!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:33 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I only did it on the youngest DD when she was nursing and had pink eye.... It worked.

Honestly though I don't think that if one of the older kids got pink eye when I was nursing her I would have been able to tie them down tight enough to put breastmilk in their eye!
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 11:16 PM on Feb. 15, 2011