Buying a Car

I am planning on purchasing a car in the near future and was trying to figure out how much money I needed to put aside, besides the amount for the car. I live in Georgia and my question is, how much is Registration and Title, and possibly Tax. I know tax might depend on the type of car, year, etc., but if registration and title depend on living area, I live in Gwinnett county.

Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:04 AM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Money & Work

• I bought a new car and I thought they wrapped that into my loan. Tax would depend on how much your vehicle is and how much your state tax is. You might be able to go online or google Georgia Registration fees to find out how much to register and all that. I would assume around $1000 that might be a safe number. Also down payment is good to have. GOOD LUCK!!
    rocamom

Answer by rocamom at 8:11 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I also live in GA and grew up in the Metro atl area. It really just depends on WHAT type of vehicle it is. The tax fees are percentages, the title fee is about $25 and the tag just depends on what vehicle it is and how new or old it is. For example, I drive a Lincoln Navigator. Its an 01 model. Last year the tag was $190 or so and this year it was $157 ish.....As the vehicle gets older, the tag gets cheaper on it. Our minivan was only $57. You might could call the tag office for Gwinnett county and ask. Also the county you live in has something to do with it too and don't forget about emissions. That county is an emissions inspection county. They won't give you the tag without it if its a car that is older. If its a new car, then I don't think you have to worry about it. Best of luck!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:52 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• You can have it figured into the loan so you won't be out of pocket in the beginning. But I believe you can call the local treasurer to find out how much the license plate will be unless u plan on switching plates from an older car but there will be a change over fee. just call them when you decide what make and model of car you're gona get and they can tell you.
    nowaygourmet

Answer by nowaygourmet at 8:34 PM on Nov. 18, 2008