Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

51% of likely GOP primary voters are "birthers", thoughts?

A survey released by Public Policy Polling on Tuesday finds skepticism over President Barack Obama's citizenship to be alive and well within the Republican community.

According to the poll, 51 percent of those likely to vote in a GOP primary in the next election cycle adhere to the conspiracy theory suggesting the president was born outside the United States and therefore is ineligible to serve.

Twenty-eight percent of respondents say they have no doubt that Obama is a citizen of the U.S., while 21 percent remain unsure, the survey shows.

An excerpt of analysis from PPP:

The GOP birther majority is a new development. The last time PPP tested this question nationally, in August of 2009, only 44% of Republicans said they thought Obama was born outside the country while 36% said that he definitely was born in the United States. If anything birtherism is on the rise.
For former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney, the poll's findings suggest the potential presidential candidate could have a difficult time appealing to the birther voting bloc should he choose to run. Per PPP:

Well among the 49% of GOP primary voters who either think Obama was born in the United States or aren't sure, Romney's the first choice to be the 2012 nominee by a good amount, getting 23% to 16% for Mike Huckabee, 11% for Sarah Palin, and 10% for Newt Gingrich.
But with the birther majority he's in a distant fourth place at 11%...


The poll finds that within the birther community, Palin maintains a sky-high 83 percent approval rating. Conversely, among those who believe the president was born in the U.S., 47 percent view the former Alaska governor in a positive light.

Answer Question
 
sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:53 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

Level 34 (67,502 Credits)
Answers (36)
  • sweet-a-kins

    Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 9:53 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

  • There is really a remarkable divide in how the birther and non-birther wings of the GOP view Sarah Palin. With the birthers she is a beloved figure, scoring an 83/12 favorability rating. Non-birthers are almost evenly divided on her with 47% rating her positively and 40% unfavorably.

    **am I correct in seeing this blog state 95 people were polled?
    jewjewbee

    Answer by jewjewbee at 9:57 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

  • oh wait, maybe with 51% being birthers, and 83 out of 12 favoring Paling....is it correct for deductive reasoning to point me in the direction that the other 49% totals 93 people thus giving me a total of 188 people polled in this BLOG commentary?
    jewjewbee

    Answer by jewjewbee at 10:02 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

  • Good Lord- that's STILL up for debate?! If that's all they have to talk about, they arent looking hard enough! They should just drop the ridiculous subject before they make themselves look so stupid, we'll have to listen to another 4 yrs of whining from some of those birthers on CM! ~haha
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 PM on Feb. 15, 2011



  • PPP surveyed 400 Republican primary voters nationwide from February 11



     


    th to 13th

    . The

    survey’s margin of error is 4.9%. Other factors, such as refusal to be interviewed and


    weighting, may introduce additional error that is more difficult to quantify




    sweet-a-kins

    Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 10:04 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

  • JJB, I got 400 when I pulled up the link for the actual poll.

    OP, bhahhhbbhahhabhbbhahhaha!!! Still trying I see.

    yourspecialkid

    Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:04 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

  • I'm missing it somewhere
    jewjewbee

    Answer by jewjewbee at 10:06 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

  • JJB, try this:http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_US_0215.pdf

    400 Republicans surveyed, according to the methodology statement at the bottom of the PDF.
    gdiamante

    Answer by gdiamante at 10:12 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

  • the word " here " on my screen is a light silver color and not showing up well. my screen tint must be off, thanks guys I found it.
    jewjewbee

    Answer by jewjewbee at 10:15 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

  • I think people are getting ridiculous with these polls…   




    agentwanda

    Answer by agentwanda at 10:26 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.