Ultrasound

i have to go tomorrow to have an ultrasound. the dr ordered this to find out how far along i am. has anyone out there had one done for this reason? didnt have this done with my first 2. is it a routine thing to do? just not sure what to expect.. thanks!!!

mykidsmom86

Asked by mykidsmom86 at 10:21 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I've had to have one with every baby because my cycles are very far from normal. They do a vaginal ultrasound, so be prepared for that. Also, know that really early on it is very common for them to see only a yolk sac or not be able to see a heartbeat. Don't freak out. That just happens when you do really early ultrasounds. (Which is why this pregnancy, I waited a few weeks longer than the doctor's office suggested to do the ultrasound, because I knew it'd be a lot earlier than the dates showed and I didn't want to stress myself out with those early inconclusive ultrasounds.) It is also very common for them to then draw hcg levels to make sure things are "progressing" and/or schedule another ultrasound in a week or two. Best of luck!
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 7:37 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• i had it with my daughter and also with this baby too
    macks_mommy

Answer by macks_mommy at 10:24 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Yes, I didn't keep track of my cycles and didn't know when I ovulated or when my last period was. So it's routine if you don't know LMP, they dated me at 15w4d :o
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 11:05 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• yes Ive had it done with all 3 of my babies.
    mrzbarnes09

Answer by mrzbarnes09 at 10:41 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I had one with our daughter and I am getting one this time around to confirm how far along I am.
    MrsJStearns

Answer by MrsJStearns at 1:53 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• im kinda hoping i get another u/s because according to my dates i should have him by march 11 and according to the u/s i will have him on april 15th! thats a pretty big window!
    courtneycra

Answer by courtneycra at 2:12 PM on Feb. 16, 2011