Are you outraged by U.S. jobs going to India?

I work for "world's largest printer" - they buy out their competition, piece out the companies, let hunderds of people go, and move any and all jobs possible to India.

This same printer prints your tax forms, prints 7 out of 10 books on the book stand, prints 8 out of 10 magazines that you read. The US Govt is one of their biggest customers.

It just seems SO WRONG to me that our government supports a company who has moved thousands of jobs to India in the past couple of years.

How can the economy grow, how can the jobless find jobs, when the big companies still making money insist on moving jobs to India?

Am I the only one outraged?

3sons_inMO

Asked by 3sons_inMO at 10:46 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Money & Work

• I kind of don't want to ask where you have been for the past few decades when this all started to happen..

But yes, it is annoying.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:48 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• What about Hershey's moving their operations to Mexico?

Answer by rkoloms at 10:56 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Yes, I hate it,my DH had been on unemployment for 3 i said 3 yrs. He just, 3 wks ago went back to truck driving which, he didn't want to do bc, he has his mentally ill brother w/ us. The last place he worked was own by a company in India and they didn't pay any creditors and went bankrupt. Every time u call about your credit card bill u get someone from india and they can't speak proper english and can't understand anything u say. So, Hell Yeah I hate it!
    pswiley

Answer by pswiley at 11:06 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I wish the jobs could stay here, I hate seeing people struggle. Personally, I get annoyed when I try to get customer service and I can't understand what they're saying. But - I understand why US companies have to outsource. They are competing in a global economy; fact is that labor is cheaper overseas. Even with the exorbitant taxes placed on US companies, it's still cheaper for them to use foreign labor.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:07 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Yeah-- it's been going on for decades.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:12 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• yessss.. when i "google" my old design job, that is now in india - they are paying them between $2,000 and $4,000 a YEAR!! And it seems they have people lining up for those jobs. Its a crazy world. Today I watched 2 of my close friends get let go, as more and more of the CSR jobs are moving to India. These 2 had been there 15-18 years, they are both just over 60. Seriously, WHERE will they find a job paying anything more than minimum wage? It breaks my heart.
    3sons_inMO

Comment by 3sons_inMO (original poster) at 11:16 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• We outsource a butt load over to the Philippines. They get paid $1.50 an hr in US dollars, where the employees that held those jobs here made $14-$17 hr.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 11:23 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I agree with you...infact, my father and all his other co-workers got laid off BECAUSE of the company wanted to use "outsourcing"..>:( makes me sooooooooooooooo angry!!! I mean..how are we supposed to find more jobs HERE is they are sending them over THERE?
    psychicRaelene3

Answer by psychicRaelene3 at 9:10 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Unfortunately, all these companies see is dollar signs. They don't see all the jobless Americans. Overseas they can pay employees a dirt cheap wage and don't have to pay them benefits either.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:15 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Hmm...generally we don't debate in Money & Work, which is the reason I come here!
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 7:12 PM on Feb. 16, 2011