Soup and Salad??

I'm having a dinner party for some of my DH's collegues on Thursday; DH wants me to make French Onion Soup and Salad as the first course - I don't know that I've ever seen both?? Maybe if I have a smaller serving of each?

Thoughts?

The balance of the dinner is London Broil with baby spinach and roasted Fingerlings. The meat is served with a balsamic reduction, I'm not sure if the salad is overkill (greens & balsamic twice?)

Thank you, I just can't get my head around this for some reason!

Scuba

Asked by Scuba at 10:59 PM on Feb. 15, 2011 in Food & Drink

• You know my answer.....BOTH! Do it up big!
    MrsDavid

Answer by MrsDavid at 7:00 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Well, think about it this way, not everyone likes French onion or can eat it, would you be wasting time and money with FO soup? Perhaps just salad and offer your guest a choice of 3 dressings.
    jdjamm

Answer by jdjamm at 11:14 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I wouldn't serve FO, a lot of people don't like onions.
    Wouldn't serve both for sure.
    A good salad is romaine with tomatoes, purple onion, cucumber and mushrooms marinated in Girarrd's champagne vinagrette.
    Just an idea
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 5:38 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• i like brocolli soup and ceasar salad mmm
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 8:39 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• What do you think if I offered a choice, either or both? My DH and his boss both love French Onion Soup :) It's only 6 adults, so I don't mind doing it.
    Scuba

Comment by Scuba (original poster) at 6:46 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• My kind of lady, MrsDavid :) I have to do both! I bought some adorable crocks today for the soup!
    Scuba

Comment by Scuba (original poster) at 7:15 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Serve the French Onion soup. As a caterer, always consider your main guest, that would be your husband's boss. Not many people ever turn away French Onion soup, and most people don't make it, so they will be impressed that you went to the effort. Then serve a salad, just a small portion. Serving both makes it a more elegant meal. I would do a vinegarette dressing, but probably not use balsamic vinegar for that. What about dessert?
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:39 PM on Feb. 16, 2011