Is it normal to have a late period when you start decreasing your child from breast feeding?

I got my period not that long after my daughter was born even though they said it was unlikely, I have only been using condoms as contreception but I was just curious to know if my period could be late due to the change in the breastfeeding schedule because I went from 4-6 times a day to 2 times a day if not only 1 and I am supplementing formula and baby food of course! But I am a little freaked, my period is 6 days late -- has any one else experienced this and what should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Feb. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• Take a HPT about all you can do.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 12:24 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I don't think I am pregnant, but this is not normal for me.. I just was curious if anyone else out there has experienced this problem.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:31 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Very normal!
    wishbearmom

Answer by wishbearmom at 1:08 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• care to elaborate please (: lol!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• when my son was born i breastfed him....well he started acting as if he wasnt getting enough food in his belly so i started breast and bottle feeding....that was working wonders!! well i didnt have a period at all while i was breastfeeding,but then i quit breastfeeding him and just stuck to bottle feeding....well needless to say i got my period 2 weeks later.....how old is your daughter? i only ask because you are not supposed to have sex for like 6 weeks or so after having the baby,i mean obviously she is older than that if you are having sex again....you say you use condoms and thats great but they are not 100% effective....they can break!! just do what charis76 said and get yourself a HPT.........
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 1:14 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• she will be 6 mo old.. no condoms have broken, i have checked so i am just not sure what is going on. i have heard some ppls periods can just stop from the change in the feeding so i just wasnt sure, i will take a HPT tonight just to be sure but i am almost positive i am not pregnant.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:04 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I think it is totally possible. I have heard so many different things regarding periods and breastfeeding. I didn't get my period AT ALL until I started taking the mini-pill after having DS. I have a friend that got her period like every other month until her milk was completely dried up. Hers was a bit unpredictable. So I really think everyone's body will do different things.
    Blakesmommy0907

Answer by Blakesmommy0907 at 4:54 PM on Feb. 16, 2011