Do you feel the presidential choice of Vice President can

ruin his chance for election or re-election?

Kathy675

Asked by Kathy675 at 12:49 AM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Sometimes . I think McCain's choice of Palin was a mistake .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 12:51 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• It can, but it's not guaranteed - Obama still got in with Quayle v2.0
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:47 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Yes. Obama chose Biden to lock in Biden and to counter his aloofness....Biden may be gaffe prone but people feel like he is one of them, one of the regular peeps not a Constitutional law professor..

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:04 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Absolutely. My girlfriend just mentioned the other day that she was going to vote for McCain until he chose Palin as his running mate. On the other hand there are people who weren't in love with McCain but voted for him because they liked Palin.

I think it's probably 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 8:45 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

My conservie Aunt voted for her first ever Dem Pres ...she didn't like McCain but was unsure....then he chose Palin....and she was quite disgusted. She looked into Obama but was still nervous...Powell's endorsement put that to bed. He brother (my Uncle) usually votes repub (but has crossed over) also voted Obama based on Biden. He knows Biden (casually) and thinks he is "good people"...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:12 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Oh yeah, it can happen - like the uninspired choice of Palin (even though I do think she is pretty and entertaining).
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 3:12 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Yes, I think it can definetly make a difference, but IMO it is mostly on the president himself.
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 6:21 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I think that was his downfall, unfortunately.
    Kathy675

Comment by Kathy675 (original poster) at 12:55 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• It can make a difference yes. If 65-70% of the nation thinks your running mate is a total wackjob then yes that can kill your chances, especially if you have heart problems and are likely to die in office.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 5:16 AM on Feb. 17, 2011