I have no idea why

but when my fiance told me his mom wanted to get our baby baptized it freaked me out, i have nothing against baptisms but i just dont think a baby or children should have to go through it.....isnt a baptism about being "born again" or cleansing of the sins you have committed? i honestly wouldnt know the whole thing behind them, iv done a little research and i dont think a baby would have any sins at all, why would the need to be cleansed of them.....im only curious because im gonna do it for his mom,and i just cant get over the fact that it gives me a nasty feeling in the pit of my stumoch

someone please explain why someone would get an infant baptized (i am an atheist btw but i want his mom to be happy :/ even if it makes me feel really weird)

Lizzypuppylove

Asked by Lizzypuppylove at 12:49 AM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• You are absolutely right; babies don't need to be baptized because they are innocent. Some religions, I'm thinking Catholic (?), baptize babies because they think that if a baby dies without it, it will go to Purgatory. Personally, I don't think very young children should be baptized either because they don't understand what it's all about. If a child were to pass away, Jesus is going to receive that child. I'm sure this is hard for you since you are an Atheist. I think it shows what a big heart you have to do this to please his mom. Best wishes to you.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:57 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I agree with popzaroo that it's not necessary to baptize a child. They don't understand so they can't make that decision so it's not like they're actually receiving salvation which is what baptism is a symbol of. A lot of people also think of baby baptism's as dedications to God. If you're not comfortable with it, maybe you shouldn't do it. It's your child, not your MIL's.

I don't find baby baptisms to be offensive, I just think they're totally unnecessary.
    the_kimmers

Answer by the_kimmers at 1:17 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I don't believe in baby baptism either. I just don't think it's necessary, but there are some Christian denominations that do (Catholic for sure and maybe some others?). If my MIL was Catholic and it was that important to her (that she thought my child would go to Purgatory if they died) then I would probably let her go ahead and do it - because I don't think if would harm the child. But it depends on what's involved in the baptism - do you have to agree to raise the child as a Catholic (or whatever) because I would not stand in a church and vow to raise my child in that religion if it's not something I agree with (I am a Christian, but am Baptist because they are the beliefs I align myself with)

Answer by missanc at 8:35 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Both my sons were baptized at 6 months. It was for family. But the religious reasoning for it is because everyone is born with original sin. So unless you cleansed that away the baby will go to hell. It represents the commitment the parents and godparents make to raise the baby or child knowing Christianity.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:06 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• We are Greek Orthodox and we baptize, confirm and have First Communion all together at about 6 months-
    There is nothing wrong with baptizing and infant BUT you may want to think about the long term expectation of your in-laws if you allow this- are you comfortable with them playing a large role in your child's religious upbringing. That is a question only you can answer.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:18 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• In some denominations having the child baptized and blessed represents the parent's promise to raise the child in the faith, until the child is old enough to go through Confirmation classes and decide for him/herself whether or not h/she wants to take those promises to be faithful to the religion on to him/herself.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:34 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• If you would not want it for yourself, why want it for your child?

Baptism is necessary for Christians. Infant baptism is debated within Christianity as a whole. Certain denominations and a few others do require it. So, is it necessary for your child, no. You are atheist, why baptise the child? Infancy isn't the only time baptisms can be done. An adult baptism is just as valid and often more accepted as a valid profession of faith.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 9:53 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I am a Byzantine Catholic and we practice the same as soyousay. Both my children had full immersion baptisms, chrismation and first communion at about three months. We believe that everyone is born with original sin, baptism cleanses of that sin and brings the child into the family of God (Christian church)
    Soyousay is right, in baptizing your child you are excepting the responsibility to raise you child in that faith, the priest/minister will probably ask for you to acknowledge that during the baptism. It is very kind of you to baptize your child to make your family happy but if you don't want your child raised as a Christian I would reconsider. Tell you in-laws that God is not going to forsake a child because his parents neglected to have him baptized. When your son has reached an age of reason and can care for his own spiritual life you could offer to have him baptized if he wishes.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 10:11 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• ...im only curious because im gonna do it for his mom,and i just cant get over the fact that it gives me a nasty feeling in the pit of my stumoch

I want to tell you that IMO, this is a decision for parents, not grandparents. I am sorry you are discomforted by the idea. Can you tell them to be more patient with your decision? Just trying to help here. general wiki link

2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 10:33 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I do not believe in getting a baby baptised that young. I just recently went to baptism for my class mates and many either were never baptised or baptised as babies, the ones as babies did it again this time with a greater understanding of what it is and it had a greater impact on their lives.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:43 AM on Feb. 16, 2011