How can i get my daughter to start drinking water ?

Its getting to the point where she just wants to drink soda and juice and her urine has a strong smell to it i dont know if its from her not drinking enough water or if she has a UTI infection she has a doctor's appointment in the morning which is great but how can i get her to start drinking more water i put water in her sippy cup and its like she knows its water cus it has no color it lol so she always gives it back to me until i give her juice or soda ugh im getting so frustrated and its bad enough that im worried about her cus her urine never smelled this strong before has anyone experience this with your daughter .thanks.

alexia_09

Asked by alexia_09 at 12:54 AM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I suggest giving her water in a really cool new cup. If she hasn't drank from a straw yet, try a sippy with a straw. She wont be able to resist it. But only put water in the straw cup, nothing else. My dd started drinking water on her own when we would be at a resturant she would tell the waiter she wanted water lol. It was so cute. Soda shouldn't be an option, its very bad and juice should be diluted and used sparingly.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:01 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• They have flavored water!! My son loves the propel. And also the vitamin water is really good. I think crystal light is what my sister uses. It's better than soda and juices even though it has some sugar.
    mamastyles

Answer by mamastyles at 1:03 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• don't have the option for soda than its bad for her anyway i'd go with what the other posters said as well great ideas
    Gen

Answer by Gen at 1:13 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• The flavored water is a good idea, also watering down her juice, a lot. With my son I would do 2oz juice 6oz water for an 8oz glass/cup. That way it was colored and looked like juice, but he was getting much more water and much less sugar. The crystal lights are a good suggestion, and soda really shouldn't even be an option. I let my son have 7up once in awhile but he's also 5 and its more like a special treat, if we go out or a birthday or something. He never had it in his sippy cup cause it can rot teeth and gums. Once in awhile is ok, but if she's refusing water at all times then soda is just dehydrating her more.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:13 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I was discussing this with my mom today and I just add flavor to the water to make it more appealing some people add corn syrup to the water to give it flavor it makes it sweet but not too sweet I use lemon or oranges and he drinks it
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 1:44 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I had discussed this with my boys' pediatricians and they said to put water in a pitcher in the fridge and tell them that it was special water and it actually worked. My boys drink like two 8oz. glasses of water everyday now. They even pick out water when I get them a drink form the store sometimes.
    mimioester

Answer by mimioester at 3:27 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• We have CRAZY straws..lol.. The swervy shaped ones.... It doesn't matter WHAT I place in their cups... They'll drink it if it has a crazy straw.. lol.. Water. milk, and juice NEVER looked so appealing.. Good Luck
    peekab00

Answer by peekab00 at 7:21 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• My daughter won't drink water either.I do 50/50 water with all her juices and I can get her to drink the flavored waters occassionally. I still try to sneak the cup of plain water in from time to time tho..lol...doesnt really work...but I try! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:37 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I still water down DD juice so if she hasn't had enough I only put like 1/4 juice in it. ALso I have a large water carrier with a straw (actually from the hospital when I had her) and she loves to drink out of that - because it is Mommy's (so it must be special)
    good luck
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 4:14 PM on Feb. 16, 2011