christmas help

ok im new at this mom thing and im wanting to know a way to decorate the house for christmas.. i know i sound dumb but i want to do this right. im having a bad relationship with my boyfriend/kidsdad and i wan it to be like a new beinging for all 4 of us. thats why i need help. i have a 2 year old and a 8mos. i know i want to put lights up for my son but other than that im clueless. my family never decorated so i dont know a the basics. i need it to be perfect.. if someone or anyone will help me please do.. thank you ,, kelly

grubbk20

Asked by grubbk20 at 4:58 AM on Nov. 18, 2008 in General Parenting

• Well, with kids that young make sure you keep anything breakable or dangerous up high. When you decorate your tree, skip the silver tinsle stuff that you throw on the tree. It usually falls off throughout the season and can be deadly if ingested. I would suggest keeping it simple. Bows and pinecones decorated with glitter are festive and inexpensive. You can get a holiday printed tablecloth for your table. Lights around the windows are nice too. Red and green candles around the house are nice too, even if you don't light them, they still look nice. Its hard to say without seeing your place. You can find tons of inexpensive holiday touches at Walmart or Kmart. Just have fun with it.
    cesca511

Answer by cesca511 at 6:29 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• First you have to acknowledge that perfect is a myth especially with young children! Then just go to holiday sections and see what you like it all depends on your taste, I am a colorful holiday decorator, but also like to see others with the clean classic type of decorations.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I was also going to say that "perfect" doesn't exist. EVER. Even without kids. Definitely do things that are kid friendly and make sure that anything you put up, you are willing to take down soon after new years. I can't stand it when people get into that mood and then don't take the decorations down until April. Or ever....LOL I think fireplace decorations are cool as well as anything on the staircase. Like the pp said..it really just depends on your taste.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:38 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• My two year old loves stickers!! So I put the window snowmen, snowflakes on the windows and he like look, look it makes him happy. Other than that having a holiday cookie jar shape like Santa or snowman is always fun. My mother is a holiday decorator and has tons of knickknacks that go up but she has had years to collect. Maybe just get a red or green blanket to go over the couch if your trying to be inexpensive, have you two year old paint or color with x-mas colors than frame it maybe with a date little things that are personal seem to make the biggest difference I think!!
    JustUsTwo

Answer by JustUsTwo at 10:15 AM on Nov. 18, 2008