Has anyone ever tried bathing an 85lb Dog??

holy moly THAT was some exercise!! Not only did I have to lift him back up into the bathtub 3 times...I slipped and hit my head while holding on to his tail!! THEN he would NOT shake off in the bathtub...no..instead he jumps on me and shakes his nasty wet dog smell all over me!! THEN I had to clean up the nasty dog hair out of the drain and mop the WHOLE bathroom floor!!! I think next time I'll just wait till summer and hose him down in the back yard!

mamastyles

Asked by mamastyles at 12:57 AM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Pets

• Ugh.. I feel for ya! Although I haven't bathed an 85 lb dog, I have TRIED to bathe a 40 lb dog. LOL! That was bad enough. It was about the same experience for me. Plus, after the bath he'd always run out the bathroom door and roll around on the carpet to try and dry himself off. Yuck. I finally gave up and started taking him to get groomed. In fact, he's got an appointment for Thurs. AM for a total shave! LOL!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:00 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• i have an 80lb american bulldog. she doesn't like baths either but i just force her into the tub and i tie her to the pole in the shower. once she's in, she'll be fine as long as i keep warm water on her and i stay infront of her. but as soon as you give her the go, she'll try to get out. try and be as calm as possible, and make it like a massage once your dog is in the shower
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:03 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• yes i have 3 a mama and 2 pups that are that big and it even harder when i bring them in and do it in the tub
    teenmommy4ever

Answer by teenmommy4ever at 1:06 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• My 85lb, pit turns into spiderman and crawls the walls crying to get away and if you try to do it outside tied to a tree, he actually screams. Not sure which one is worse but somethings going down soon, he stinks.lol
    Tracee F.

Answer by Tracee F. at 1:53 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• And that is why I have dog shower stall installed in our mudroom. All of my dogs walk in there on their own now and are trained not to step out until I say we are done. That makes things so much more pleasant. They really don't like baths either.

I would recommend the shower stall over the tub next time, just go in the shower with the dog if you have to, and a hand held extension will really help you out too.

Shepherds are my least favorite to bathe. Their hair never seems to get wet, when it is wet it stinks, and then it takes a lot of rinses to get the shampoo out and they take forever to dry and leave behind enough hair to make another dog. Love the shepherds, hate to bathe them!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 4:59 PM on Feb. 16, 2011