Is there still squatters rights? My dad owns 109 acres in the mountains and someone

built a storage building on it. they live across the road and just put it up without asking. so i wondered if they could claim the land after so long.

Dianakk

Asked by Dianakk at 1:00 AM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• yes, they can claim the land after so long, usually ten years. However those laws change from state to state and within your district. I would guess they are assuming the land is county or state owned. Just send them a quick note or quick meeting and see where it goes from there. After so long, your dad can also claim the property they built on the land if he has proof they were informed and did not move it. If your dad is 91 you may want to take care of this TODAY.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:01 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• how long have they been there
    Gen

Answer by Gen at 1:15 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Your "squatters" probably don;t even realize they are on your property! Is there a clear delineation between the two properties--such as a tree line, rock wall, or other markers?! If not, then I suggest you hire a professional, licensed surveyor, to look up property records, and come out and measure the property lines. THEN you would be able to proceed with legal action (if they are on your property), and have them removed. Once surveyed, I would establish a clear property line marker to avoid "confusion" in the future.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:43 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• If it is his property no one can put anything up unless they get permission from him first
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:09 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Most states no longer recognize squatter's rights. Get in touch with an attorney to find out if yours does.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:33 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• It depends on the state and I think they have to be LIVING there.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:16 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• like the pp i think for squatters rights to be established they have to actually be living where they are trying to claim hence the term squatter
    macks_mommy

Answer by macks_mommy at 1:19 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I would be royally p-o'd if someone placed any structure on my land. Time for an attorney.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 3:11 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I just moved here 2 months ago and it was there. my dad's 91 with alzheimers disease and he doesnt know it's there. it is on the other side of the mountain. i am in west virginia. they arent living in it, but have tons of junk around it. there driveway is connected to dad prop. and they have a trailer right there. the building looks like it has been there for years. it is old and shabby looking. my step mom doesnt want me to say anything because she is afraid they will do something.
    Dianakk

Comment by Dianakk (original poster) at 1:25 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• my"squatter's should know, there is a dirt road dividing the properties and everyone down here knows everybodies business and who owns what property. they just pretty much do as they want. you should see all the dogs running loose and they have no leash laws out in the country. i have several dogs a day in my yard. nothing like cleaning up after someone elses dogs. lol
    Dianakk

Comment by Dianakk (original poster) at 5:53 PM on Feb. 16, 2011