how to get rid of fleas

we have an indoor cat. some how we got fleas in the house. we gave linus a flea bath and put advantage on him when he was dryed. we also put carpet fresher that was a flea killer on the carpet. what can we do now? please help

BOOGIETHEBOOG

Asked by BOOGIETHEBOOG at 6:46 AM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Pets

• Vacuum everyday without fail. I got that advice from an exterminator-she said that people call for flea problems all the time and the service they have is a waste because not only is it toxic but the best way to get rid of fleas is to treat the pet and vacuum daily- the fleas will be gone. Good luck.

candygirl1030

Answer by candygirl1030 at 6:53 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Sprinkle table salt on your carpets daily, wait ten minutes, then vacuum. Do this twice per day and fleas will be gone in a week. The salt kills the fleas, eggs, and larva. Just vacuuming then up will not kill them.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 7:02 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Give the cat (powedered )nutritional brewers yeast that can be spinkled on food or put in his milk.
    It can be found at a heath food store.
    It has a smell that repels fleas and is safe & nutritional for your pet.
    Baby1114

Answer by Baby1114 at 7:34 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• they have a pretty cheap pill called capstar you can get at the vets office. And vacuum every day something you probably dont want to hear is that for every 1 flea you see there is 100 that you dont. I find that frontline has worked the best for me and our pets. they do have a fogger and carpet spray called ectokyl. It works very good. I know we sell it at work which is at a vets I dont know if you can get it any place else or not. You need to vacuum the hard surfaces in your house too if you have any. fleas will live in the cracks. also furniture.
    bellabuddybug

Answer by bellabuddybug at 8:14 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• We had an outbreak of fleas at my house and we treated it before it got bad, but we treated the dog which is the main thing (flea bath, followed by frontline treatment and now she also always wears a flea collar because I am paranoid) And for the house I was instructed to do the fogger followed by vacuuming everyday for something like 30 days or so, and it worked like a charm. I haven't seen a flea since. I recommend you do it yourself though because the professionals charge an obsene amount and sometimes they have to come back 2 and 3 times. (That is what happened to my neighbor!!)
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 8:49 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• try this site

http://chesterscleanhouse.blogspot.com/search/label/Flies

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I worked at an animal hospital for 5 years and the first step is to start with the pet. If the flees are BAD, get a capstar from your local vet and wait like 3 hours. Give your cat a bath, or get him bathed and then apply frontline or advantage. Once you do that, vacuum EVERDAY, and if he sleeps on a bed or something put it in the car parked in the sun for a couple hours (to cook the eggs) or stick everything he normally sleeps on in the dryer. Heres the expensive and tricky part. you have to throw away the bag after every vacuum to throughly get rid of them. If the flea eggs hatch in the bag in your vacuum, your back to the beginning of the problem. GET RID OF THE BAG :). I hope this is helpful!
    amsweeney

Answer by amsweeney at 1:13 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Use borax on your furniture and carpets itll kill the fleas basically instantly and prevent them from coming back. It also kills the eggs. As for the animal Id go to the vet and ask for Comfortis. It works ALOT better then the other stuff you put on the neck. Its a pill and prevents fleas. Its also less expensive $15 a pill and wont wash off in the rain or when the animal is bathed.

Answer by gemgem at 2:23 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Great advice from above. CAPSTAR! It works! though you'll have to pill Linus!! take him to the vet and have a tech pill him if you have a hard time!!! Frontline helps to prevent. Please note that the stuff that you find in the grocery stores can harm you pets. Can make them sick enough that they'll need medical attention. USE W/ CAUTION. Another note, flea collars can work but if you have small children that hang on you pets especially around the collar area, your child could get sick from the poisons on the collar.
    just1moment

Answer by just1moment at 4:25 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• We use a natural product called Sol-U-Mel, it has tea tree oil in it. Safe for pets.
    nanaevelyn

Answer by nanaevelyn at 10:27 PM on Nov. 19, 2008