17 year old rebellious. Any responses?

Sorry I did't give more details.

My son is rebellious. He had been bringing a particular girl in my house, and I did not know it.

I was gone, I came home. My daughter had caught her in his room.  When I got home we had a loud discussion. I stated to him that I should knock him out for the things he is doing, he's being a liar, disrespectful, disobedient. and arrogant. He responded, I will knock you out,  I told him he needs to find somewhere else to live.  He can not live with me and talk like that. He suppose to move with a friend.

elgerine

Asked by elgerine at 2:08 AM on Feb. 16, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I need a whole lot more info to be able to respond well. But, I was a really difficult teenager and came out of it quiet well if i do say so myself, so feel free to message me and ask me anything :)
    ShainaMay

Answer by ShainaMay at 2:32 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• I did a lot sneaking around at 17 but my situation at home was not good so I did not wanted to be there sometimes my mom asked me if I was still living with them it was mostly my dads fault but I have to admit that at that age you do a lot of stupid things and those are not your parents fault.
    gou18

Answer by gou18 at 2:54 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Teenagers are rebellious by nature.   The trick is to have their rebellion manifest itself in a way you can live with.  For instance, my 18 year old dd rebels by keeping her bedroom messy.  It drives me crazy but at least she isn't smoking, drinking or doing drugs. 

How is your teen rebelling?

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:04 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• All you can do is just get through it. Don't let it get to you (or don't show it anyway) set guidelines and stick to them. Have consequences and try to be as matter of fact as possible. The child will grow up eventually. It just takes time.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 7:53 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Response - you don't state HOW they are being rebellious. You don't state if it is your child or someone else's child or knowing CM....even yourself. There is no way to respond because not all 17 year olds are rebellious.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:32 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• You blew it lady. You should not have had a "loud discussion", (I'm reading yelling) and you certainly should not have said that you "should knock him out" (child abuse). I'm not in the least surprised he threatened to knock you out back.
    What you should have done is had a calm discussion talking to him about the repercussions of his actions, future consequences and birth control and STDs.

FYI. My 17 year old twins aren't rebellious. They're polite, respectful, willingly do their chores, all round good kids. Achieved without yelling or violence.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:36 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Like some of the others have stated, you never really said how he is being rebellious, so it's hard to speak to that, but I truly believe teens will test you to the limit, and how you handle it dictates how they will behave moving forward. Children live what they learn, so for him to react as he did after you said you "should knock him out" doesn't surprise me.

If you've told him in the past that girls are not allowed in his room, then consequences should be dished out. He needs to know that there is a cause and effect here. If you do ________ such and such will happen, and STICK TO IT!!! But loud discussions and threats of physical harm are not the way to go IMHO.

I do have a 17 year old son who I am proud to say is VERY respectful, caring, honest and polite, but we didn't wait until he was 17 to start instilling those virtues. It begins from day one.

Good luck!!!
    5150mama

Answer by 5150mama at 2:07 AM on Feb. 19, 2011